garmin... or smart phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

hmmmm ... 37 miles isn't really a long ride imo - i still maintain it's better to have a dedicated device for recording the ride (like a Garmin) and having a phone for everything else (namely being able to ring someone). I prefer to see my speed,average speed and miles covered as i ride, (new 800 gives a hell of a lot more) having a device on my handlebars that is "off" (screen off) just sounds weird to me.

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Do you have to manually load your Garmin data to Strava or is there a way to automate this?

I'd probably consider a Garmin but if the sync to Strava is a faff I'd stick to the iPhone.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have to attach to a computer..not that I've done it yet. Smart phone you just hit upload or whatever

the_mikey

Legendary Member
+1 for Garmin. I carry a smartphone but I wouldn't want to use it to record my ride, I can go for a 100km ride and the garmin will have enough battery to ride another 100km again, I wouldn't get that with a smartphone, although if you're trying out activity tracking sites, a smartphone is a good starting point, but I would seriously consider upgrading to a garmin, for all of the reasons people have mentioned already.

Do you have to manually load your Garmin data to Strava or is there a way to automate this?
I'd probably consider a Garmin but if the sync to Strava is a faff I'd stick to the iPhone.

I was going to say but then

Just joined the club.
Bought a garmin 220 for £84.99.

Most sites will sync with a garmin, ( I have been trying to work out some upload problems from other devices with help from other people on here) but Strava and other site will usually accept either tcx or gpx files as an easy file transfer, I was also going to say don't forget the bryton range, their rider 20/21 has Ant+ so will record H.R. and Cadence, but it doesn't have the bread crumb trial of the 200, It used to simple to upload to strava from the Bryton site, however since strava changed its API last year this is no longer possible, but it is very simple to download a tcx file either from the unit or the site and upload this.
Bryton have a range comparable to garmin generally at about 20-30% of the price of Garmin, I have also found in my limited experience that the gps track tend to be a little more accurate.
Having said that I personally prefer working with garmins, not so much for what they record (as all units will record Time/Sp/Cad/HR almost everything else is derived from these apart from elevation, this is either from the gps plot or a barometric sensor), but because the transfer of files to and from the unit easier as the unit is seen as an external device (if only Bryton would do this). GPS units also make it easier to backup your data as a rule, though this is also possible from dedicated apps on a phone as most sites allow you down load a tcx or gpx of the ride which can then be uploaded to other sites.
I strongly believe in the right tool for the job, you wouldn't use the camera on a phone for a wedding shoot.

stuee147

i personally prefer to use my smart phone that way if i lock my bike up and go shopping or for a walk i only have to carry my phone which i would carry anyway, i know garmins arnt that big or heavy but its still something to fill my pockets.
i have a mount on my handlebars that takes my phone and if its raining i have a waterproof case thats designed for when you goto the beach or something iv tried it in the bath and its completely waterproof . on the bottom of the mount is a waterproof USB port thats powered by a dynimo on the rear wheel and that keeps my phone fully charged.

i think it all depends on personal preference there are loads of offline mapping apps for a phone (i have and android htc smart phone ) and some great cycle tracking systems all for free. i use "ride with GPS" "OsmAnd" both will map your journey speed elevation ect and are free to join and use

[QUOTE="stuee147, post: 3042128, member: 34880"
i think it all depends on personal preference there are loads of offline mapping apps for a phone (i have and android htc smart phone ) and some great cycle tracking systems all for free. i use "ride with GPS" "OsmAnd" both will map your journey speed elevation ect and are free to join and use[/QUOTE]

I have used this from when I started in 2012 and use the elevation as it was always closer to the barometric readings from the Garmin 500, so for consistency I use this data the rest comes from the unit except weather which is from Garmin.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You have to attach to a computer..not that I've done it yet. Smart phone you just hit upload or whatever
not entirely true - i have the garmin 510 that connects to the bluetooth on my phone - once ride is complete and i press save, it automatically uploads ride to garmin connect and within a few minutes it also uploads to strava (via tapiirik) therefore not needing the PC connection

only the 510 and 810 do this though

not entirely true - i have the garmin 510 that connects to the bluetooth on my phone - once ride is complete and i press save, it automatically uploads ride to garmin connect and within a few minutes it also uploads to strava (via tapiirik) therefore not needing the PC connection

only the 510 and 810 do this though
But we all know how naff strava is with your data. :whistle: Therefore to use other sites you my still need to connect. I only ever use my desktop, (laptops cant do what my desktop can), and most mobo, dont come with bluetooth, you have to get a dongle, so its just easier to connect, it also charges the unit at the same time.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
But we all know how naff strava is with your data. :whistle: Therefore to use other sites you my still need to connect. I only ever use my desktop, (laptops cant do what my desktop can), and most mobo, dont come with bluetooth, you have to get a dongle, so its just easier to connect, it also charges the unit at the same time.
your missing the point i was trying to make - what i'm saying is if you have smartphone then you don't need to connect to a pc when using the 510 or 810 - i believe all sites are naff with our data - garmin had me cycling 500ft below sea level last week - go figure

BSRU

A Human Being
your missing the point i was trying to make - what i'm saying is if you have smartphone then you don't need to connect to a pc when using the 510 or 810 - i believe all sites are naff with our data - garmin had me cycling 500ft below sea level last week - go figure
Garmin has had a issue with elevation correction since the beginning of February.

nxn2020

Thinking of getting an 800/810 myself, what's the difference? Also sure I read somewhere that they have trouble uploading maps over 60 miles and following them, any truth in this? As a start rating just how good are the 800/810,10 stars being best, in your humble opinions?

Top Bottom