Garmin thingy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a 705 rich, with Europe map on SD card. I know others might say get the DVD etc - but that's just me trying to simplify things. Half the time, I forget to press 'Start' and collect data - the rest of the time (particularly on a Mouseketeer Special, the battery would have run down and need recharging) I got round that problem by getting a 'Power Monkey' - but I forget that too! :wahhey:

When I have plotted routes, using, for example, bikehike, or bikely, or bikeroutetoaster, (check them out - I think bikehike is of most interest - but I quite like perusing maps anyway...) the data on screen is of a great help to me, having been born with spatio-directional difficulties!

If I thought about this a little more, I would probably have got a AA battery version, but I originally got it for finding my way back from unaccompanied rides that I was going to do in the Languedoc - using the Garmin UK/Europe map. Due to 'circumstances beyond my control' I never got there, so I was content to get lost in England. It's good. Frank Kinlan's website is a friendly approach to the doings of Garmin.

And Sig's experience with Garmin has undoubtedly given her that 'je ne sais quoi', that 'Edge' when it comes to rustling up a cherry cake! :wahhey:

And it shows a lot of the North Sea.:wahhey:

andym

Über Member
There's a very useful overview of GPSes for touring on crazyguyonabike.com.

Aperitif said:
I have a 705 rich, with Europe map on SD card. I know others might say get the DVD etc - but that's just me trying to simplify things. Half the time, I forget to press 'Start' and collect data - the rest of the time (particularly on a Mouseketeer Special, the battery would have run down and need recharging)

You only need to download the maps to the SD card once. I have the whole of the UK, France, Spain, and Italy on mine. That way if I should ever lose the GPS I haven't lost the maps as well. (The Garmin is powered via the USB BTW).

jeltz

Veteran
If all you want to do is plot the route that you have taken any garmin edge will work. As would a GPS enabled mobile phone or PDA with the right program or app. The advantage that a bike specific one has is in the design, i.e. waterproof, daylight readable and a bike mount.

I have a windows mible PDA with freeware mapping and tracking software which can do that job, but opted to get a Garmin 605 so that it acts as my route tracker, bike computer and a navigation aid if I ever need one.

Top Bottom