Garmin Touring ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I used it for a 3 day trip, which was 140 miles. Apart from sending me the wrong way for two miles, in a dense forest, and getting lost in a city as there was so many round about, it was a great bit of kit. With this, common sense and a map, can't go wrong. It is nice to have f you have a ''I'm really lost moment''.

Im hoping to use that as a valid excuse for why im not back at work after a month touring Europe in the summer.

Douggie954

Can someone answer this, possibly Steve? I am using my Garmin touring and using cycle travel to put together routes. It downloads routes as a .tcx or . gpx file but my garmin will not recognise any of these file formats. It does recognise .fit format. Any advice will be gratefully received.

MikeW-71

Veteran
It will do TCX for sure. Copy the TCX file and paste it into the NewFiles folder on the Garmin. The unit will then convert it into a FIT file when you select the route.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Sorry Douggie but I have no idea when it comes to files.

Using Plotaroute its just a couple of clicks and its done.

Steve

andym

Über Member
I'd be very surprised if it doesn't recognise .gpx or .tcx

I know this is one of those where's-the-fun-in-that? replies but have you checked the manual? Also if you email Garmin Support they are very helpful.

EDIT: you could also try Googling something like 'Garmin touring load gpx track' . First link will take you to a brief how-to from Ridew-with-GPS which will tell you where to put the files so the device will find them. The second link is to this page:

http://poplarware.com/jenzach/2014/05/23/jhodgdon/planning-rides-garmin-edge-touring/

Where the author discusses which route-planning sites 'play nice' with the Garmin Touring and which ones don't. If you find that you can load tracks from other sites but not from cycle.travel then you might want to contact the guy who runs cycle.travel.

Last edited:

Douggie954

andym thanks this has helped. Steve I tried Plotaroute but struggled a bit, I know I shouldn't really but found cycle travel much easier.

Can someone answer this, possibly Steve? I am using my Garmin touring and using cycle travel to put together routes. It downloads routes as a .tcx or . gpx file but my garmin will not recognise any of these file formats. It does recognise .fit format. Any advice will be gratefully received.
Are you placing them into the new files folder on the Garmin/memory card? You need to in order for them to be used.

Cringles

I feel like I'm the only one that uses Garmin Connect for making routes. Easy to switch roads, and see cycle paths. Very pleased with the route I had over Easter. I think plotaroute is more awkward, the dragging option isn't as quick and smooth as Garmin Connect.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Steve, when using Plotaroute how do you get the route to follow cycle paths and not just roads?

Steve, when using Plotaroute how do you get the route to follow cycle paths and not just roads?

If you look top left screen there is the Auto plot box. It is usually on the On Road setting. To then start going off road, click the OFF box next to the On Road box. The off route planner only goes in straight lines. When you hit a road click the On Road box and off you go again.

On the top right you have the Mar/ Satellite and path boxes. If you click the Path box it will show any cycle paths or routes in your area.

If you keep using it, you will get used to it.

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom