Garmin VIRB Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
Probably a tiny bit but I export it at the best settings on the garmin software anyway..

For uploading to YouTube etc it still exports as HD which is good enough for what I need

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The camera arrived yesterday and today I took it out for a test. So far I'm very impressed. It does exactly what I need which is simply have a video to show my family when I visit nice places on my bike.

It is quite possible that I find new ideas to use the camera but for now the only new idea ( for me) is to use it when riding on the road and have some record of events if I get into trouble with friendly drivers ;)

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I recently got a Virb for a penny under £80. Then a 64 SanDisk card plus a genuine Garmin handlebar mount. I like the vid quality. What I like even more is the 3 hour battery life! With a spare battery, that'll do almost any ride I'm likely to manage.
The Virb editing software is easy to use and free from the website.
The file size is large, on 1080, over 1 gig, so if I'm uploading it, I drop it down in size when I export it to my desktop.

RMurphy195

What editing software are peeps using please?

Been recommended Adobe Premiere Pro but the new version now is by monthly subscription!?!

Cyberlink director keeps coming back good in reviews...

I use Pinnacle Studio v14 HD "Ultimate Collection" - from Ebay used, for about a fiver. Did some research first to find which versions work with Windows 7! Came with a green screen backcloth to pla with.

I think the Virb software has one feature that Pinnacle hasn't - or if it has I haven't found it yet - which is the ability to rotate the picture e.g. if you mounted the camera upside down.

Got my class 10 card from 7day shop - I used them a lot years ago for film and battery purchases, but no longer buy film!

RMurphy195

The camera arrived yesterday and today I took it out for a test. So far I'm very impressed. It does exactly what I need which is simply have a video to show my family when I visit nice places on my bike.

It is quite possible that I find new ideas to use the camera but for now the only new idea ( for me) is to use it when riding on the road and have some record of events if I get into trouble with friendly drivers ;)

Real handy at steam fairs - viewing and following moving engines while still looking where you are going - very useful!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U6N2OP89qI

PeteXXX

I use Pinnacle Studio v14 HD "Ultimate Collection" - from Ebay used, for about a fiver. Did some research first to find which versions work with Windows 7! Came with a green screen backcloth to pla with.

I think the Virb software has one feature that Pinnacle hasn't - or if it has I haven't found it yet - which is the ability to rotate the picture e.g. if you mounted the camera upside down.

Got my class 10 card from 7day shop - I used them a lot years ago for film and battery purchases, but no longer buy film!
A couple of points on this.. The VIRB free download for editing and resizing the vids is basic, but quite good.
The best way to record the vid up t'other way is via the actual setting on the cam its self so no further messing around is required at the editing stage.

RMurphy195

I recently got a Virb for a penny under £80. Then a 64 SanDisk card plus a genuine Garmin handlebar mount. I like the vid quality. What I like even more is the 3 hour battery life! With a spare battery, that'll do almost any ride I'm likely to manage.
The Virb editing software is easy to use and free from the website.
The file size is large, on 1080, over 1 gig, so if I'm uploading it, I drop it down in size when I export it to my desktop.

To get smaller file sizes I tend to switch mine off/on every now and again during a ride (when I remember). This also allows me to remove any boring sections quite easily e.g. at "tea" stops.

I get about 2hrs 45mins per battery, it does tend to use more juice on the maximum quality HD setting.

PeteXXX

To get smaller file sizes I tend to switch mine off/on every now and again during a ride (when I remember). This also allows me to remove any boring sections quite easily e.g. at "tea" stops.

I get about 2hrs 45mins per battery, it does tend to use more juice on the maximum quality HD setting.
I do similar. Also, off-road, unless I'm recording a 'fun' bit, I don't bother with it. I use it mainly as an idiot-cam on the roads.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I now use it on HD 720, economy mode. 1080 is too big and uses more battery power.

For what I need, record my rides, is perfect.

I think I'll a spare battery before it gets harder to find.

Top Bottom