Garminitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Had a lovely ride yesterday on the Tour De Furness, along the Coast Road from Barrow then up round Coniston and back. It was one of those rare days when the lake was still and everything was perfect.
Looking back, I spent far too much time looking at my Garmin, rather than the stunning scenery...........

Is this a common affliction, and is there a cure - other than binning it?
Why was you looking at your Garmin?

We need to go to the route of your problem first? ^_^

Just because you have a GPS device, it does not mean you have to miss all the scenery. You dont even need to look at it if you have a Wahoo ^_^

This really - I only look at mine now and again to see how far I've ridden.
In my case as to how far I haven't ridden.

Why was you looking at your Garmin?

We need to go to the route of your problem first? ^_^

Just because you have a GPS device, it does not mean you have to miss all the scenery. You dont even need to look at it if you have a Wahoo ^_^
Problem with scenery I doesn't change much, either sunny with or without clouds, cloudy with or without rain, wind is possibly with all, the landscapes only change over eons of time unless changed by some stupid primate changes it.
As lovely as the vistas can be round here 99% of the time they look the same apart from variations in lighting, however every once in awhile you just have to go wow, they are the times I wish I had my camera.

IMG_7243-Edit.jpg

Ice2911

Über Member
Why not set it in power save mode. Screen is blank and just kicks in when you need to turn if you have route in. That’s how I ride when doing long rides or touring. Saves the battery, ride is recorded and you ride with how you are feeling rather than looking at the Garmin all the time.

ChrisPAmbulance

As a curious aside to this - I always find that I go faster when I have the Garmin switched to display the route (it's only and Edge 200) and not the speed. Knowing my speed/average seems to slow me down. - Wierd!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As a curious aside to this - I always find that I go faster when I have the Garmin switched to display the route (it's only and Edge 200) and not the speed. Knowing my speed/average seems to slow me down. - Wierd!
you need a second gps to show your speed and average too , my old 800 displayed it on the map but i havent worked out how to display it on the 520 plus

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This really - I only look at mine now and again to see how far I've ridden.

In which case you may as well do what I have, and fit a basic wired Cateye 'puter that costs less than fifteen quid. Mine are basically used as mileage loggers more than anything. I don't obsess over constantly watching the screen all the time. There are more interesting things around to look at!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
In which case you may as well do what I have, and fit a basic wired Cateye 'puter that costs less than fifteen quid. Mine are basically used as mileage loggers more than anything. I don't obsess over constantly watching the screen all the time. There are more interesting things around to look at!

I use the ride data recorded and upload it to garmin Connect/Ride GPS - it's just that whilst riding I only look at the miles ridden so far.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I now have a 200 ( my original Garmin ) and newly acquired 820 so decided to keep the 200 set on miles and the 820 set on kms. How sad is that? :whistle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I wasted about £200 "upgrading" from the 200 to the Edge Explore 820; what a POS it has turned out to be. Couldn't navigate itself up a one way street. At least the battery lasts longer (on battery save mode) than the 2 hours I get from the 800.

Stick with maps and a Cateye! (From a non Stravaholic who keeps all rides private, doesn't do kudos, and doesn't care for willie-waving "look how fast/far I can ride" types 🙄).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I wasted about £200 "upgrading" from the 200 to the Edge Explore 820; what a POS it has turned out to be. Couldn't navigate itself up a one way street. At least the battery lasts longer (on battery save mode) than the 2 hours I get from the 800.

Stick with maps and a Cateye! (From a non Stravaholic who keeps all rides private, doesn't do kudos, and doesn't care for willie-waving "look how fast/far I can ride" types 🙄).

I stupidly put my 200 on the floor by the chair I was sitting in to update Garmin Connect etc and then when I got up out of the chair I trod on it - ruined! 😬

Replaced with the little Edge 20 which is an excellent piece of kit and only cost £75 from Halfords when they had a deal on.

Top Bottom