Garmin's Readings Are Very Strange!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

Hi All,

So I have the Garmin Edge 800 and on the way back from the office - I know, it's early, but going out early evening! - it showed me as trailing my yesterday run, by as much as nearly 2 mins at one point over my 5 mile, 21 minute ish commute.

Not wanting to be beaten by that much I hammered it for the last couple of miles to the point of exhaustion and was pleased that I got it down to 46 seconds behind.

Downloaded the activity to Connect Garmin and spotted I had beaten yesterday - which was my best run so far - average speed which was 14.1 mph to 14.4 mph! Then spotted it showed my time as being 44 seconds better than yesterday!

And before you ask I did read it correctly, display was in red and telling my I was 46 seconds behind!

So I wonder if I should just look a the average speed and time in future, rather than trying to beat the me from my last best!

Anyone else suffered this with the Garmin?

Oh and I don't have a Cadence sensor.

Regards

Chris

Lee_M

Guru
Mine isnt great at detecting satelliutes when I turn it on, so maybe yours is similar and sometimes doesnt start the time at the same point?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Are you sure that you were competing against yesterdays ride and not just a pre-programmed average pace? Which you may have lost to, but still beaten yesterdays time,

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

I removed all the tracks yesterday evening and loaded the best times for my morning walk, cycle to office and cycle home.

Totally sure that I had it competing against me.

And I don't move off and start it until the satellites kick in.

Wonder if it would be more accurate with the cadence sensor?

Regards

Chris

IanT

http://www.sprocketwaffle.co.uk
Have to agree with others - my Edge 800 is always pretty good. Like SquareDaff, I do have a cadence sensor - so maybe that makes a difference.

The only issue I notice with my 800 is that it can be a little slow updating the display when navigating. Although, that's possibly because I'm using the OS map (Garmin OE) which is supplied on a micro SD card. Think the access times for the SD card probably slow down the nav process.

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

Hi Ian,

I reckon you are right about the cadence sensor and need to get one for more accuracy.

The update will always be slow on a sat nav. You never know when it can access the satellites.

Regards

Chris

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Garmin are good but they are very often not 100%.

I have the Garmin Edge 305 and have had it for years. It always works well. After the 305 things got a bit tecnical and they didn`t seem to work as well as the 305.

I also have the GPSMAP 60CSX. I am just getting used to it but it is looking promising.

Steve

Top Bottom