Gary Fisher, Trek or Ridgeback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Westwardbound

Gary Fisher, Trek or Ridgeback? - UPDATE - or Spec Sirrus from Bath/Bristol?

Having read the sticky, found two good bike shops (and chosen my favourite) I am now at the crunch point: which bike do I buy?

So I'm looking for some advice from real cyclists. My requirements are:

- new
- cost around £350 (or convince me to spend more, say up to £500)
- suitable for use on roads, cycle paths and the odd tow path (but nothing that requires a mountain bike)
- suitable for dawdling with the kids, and, possibly when I'm a lot fitter, a 15 mile each way commute up to 3 times a week in good weather, the vast majority of which is cycle path.

The LBS I want to use sells Ridgeback, Trek and Gary Fisher. I've picked out the:

Trek - 7.3FX or 7.5FX, possibly the Soho 1.0 or SU2.0
Gary Fisher - Monona
Ridgeback - not sure (no brochure!)

Any views on which I should choose and what I might negotiate in terms of discount? - at the same time I'll be buying my wife a Trek Navigator 2.0 Eqip WSD listed at £270. I'd prefer to stick to just the 3 brands as I like (and trust) the shop, and it has a good write-up on here. My employer does not do cycle-to-work unfortunately.

Thanks.

I like my Ridgeback Velocity (only £300, actually according to the web site they've put it up to £330) but if you stretch to £500 do it, you'll get a far superior bike.

Nearly Bought A Ridgeback Velocity, Loved The Look Of Trek's 7.5fx (would Probably Be My Choice Out Of The Ones You Mention) But I Bought A Dawes Discovery 601 In The End....

But Then I Dont Know Much 'bout This Cycling Malarky..

OP
OP
W

Westwardbound

Thanks for the replies. We're off to the LBS in a couple of hours. I like the sound of the Ridgebak Velocity, but does the Gary Fisher Monona have better components for a similar price? I guess I'll see which i like the ride, feel and look of!

OP
OP
W

Westwardbound

Update - LBS full of what sounds like good advice but not a lot of stock! Apparently we're in the difficult period between 2008 and 2009 models.......

Sales chap reckoned Gary Fisher was the best of the 3 - but none available and none likely 'till late August (the 2009 model - at the - increased - 2009 price). Didn't really push Ridgeback at all. Trek 7.3FX in 20" frame in stock, but needed to be built. I sat on another 20" Trek FX - he reckoned it was OK but seatpost set high. Could it be too small? (I am 5'11", inside leg 33").

So, back to shop next weekend to try 20" Trek 7.3 FX (and same size 7.5FX). I'm not really convinced yet - any advice/thoughts/opinions welcome.

Top Bottom