Gary Verity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I've been the person ultimately approving all expenses at a number of organisations and I have never allowed company credit card transactions to be treated any different than any other expense. Full receipts and signed off by the claimant before I reviewed them

However, some public bodies have a bit of a rep for being weak on financial controls and probity (mine were all private companies). Here is my guess..BoD staffed by the great and good, none of whom had real experience of controlling a business. Verity, charasmatic CEO, rides coach and horses through the controls and nobody on the Board said anything as he was delivering the goods. Weak Board, autocratic CEO...recipe for disaster
This with bells on.

the linked article says....
"Gary Verity was paid £243,000 a year. It is now clear that he claimed expenses that he was not entitled to.

:eek:I feel fekin sorry for him if that isn't enough that he needs to fiddle expenses:wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fun fact. Many Yorkshire folk are glad of the TDY but many never have & never will like him.

After Le Tour I spoke to a couple of people involved in tourism in County Durham.

There was a view that Verity had bought success - the budget he had for Le Tour was huge.

I suspect there was an element of jealousy, but any admiration for Verity was at best grudging.

Not that any one at that point knew he was on the hi diddle diddle.

Actions speak louder than words.

Falsely claiming £40,000 from an employer cannot properly be explained away as 'an error of judgment'.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've been the person ultimately approving all expenses at a number of organisations and I have never allowed company credit card transactions to be treated any different than any other expense. Full receipts and signed off by the claimant before I reviewed them

However, some public bodies have a bit of a rep for being weak on financial controls and probity (mine were all private companies). Here is my guess..BoD staffed by the great and good, none of whom had real experience of controlling a business. Verity, charasmatic CEO, rides coach and horses through the controls and nobody on the Board said anything as he was delivering the goods. Weak Board, autocratic CEO...recipe for disaster

Another management superstar who, it's looking increasingly likely, had feet of clay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47808730

Top Bottom