Gas canisters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
important difference: the screw canisters are usually propane and butane and last a long time, giving a great heat. the non-reuseable ones are butane and give low heat, so die quickly. that is why they are cheaper - and have a poor seal. If you want screw canisters try fishing/DIY shops, etc. They are the same fitting used on blowtorches. The blowtorch ones are a different shape - thin and tall - but do the same job. This idea that the whole of Spain/France etc have no screwtop gas canisters is cobblers - look in a different shop.

classic33

Leg End Member
important difference: the screw canisters are usually propane and butane and last a long time, giving a great heat. the non-reuseable ones are butane and give low heat, so die quickly. that is why they are cheaper - and have a poor seal. If you want screw canisters try fishing/DIY shops, etc. They are the same fitting used on blowtorches. The blowtorch ones are a different shape - thin and tall - but do the same job. This idea that the whole of Spain/France etc have no screwtop gas canisters is cobblers - look in a different shop.
The screw top ones are non-fillable. Just like the cartridges that are piecrced when fitting them to the stove/lamp.
As for using the taller cartridges, check they can actually be used on their side. Assuming you've a flexible fitting between cartridge & stove.
Smaller base and taller height size makes it unstable in use. If you use it in the upright posistion.

Whatever type gas cartridge/bottle you use, the seal is only as good as you keep it. Rubber ages and cracks with age.

Last edited:

albal

Guru
The name is Lindle valve canisters. Go to any Ferreteria, and you should find one in Spain. Decathlon seem all or nothing.France similar story with Decathlon and Inter sport. Some do some don't.
Do they sell them in Norway ?

Do they sell them in Norway ?

I had no problem finding the Lindle type (for Lindle read primus) in outdoor shops in the big big towns Ive cycled through in Norway Sweden and Finland - Its more a problem of the town being big enough to have an outdoor shop - Camping Gaz in Norway and Sweden was pretty rare - Finland much more common and sometimes even in supermarkets

doog

Sorry Paul on your CGOAB journal you said "My first mistake was to take a stove with a screw on gas canister - difficult if not impossible to find in France " ?

I struggled in 2011 on a major tour, have things got better...Great read btw

[QUOTE="psmiffy, post: 3743979, member: 627"]Dead easy in France - Camping Gaz easier - Spain Ive not found to be a problem - Camping Gas is again more readily available

Get an adaptor for Camping Gas to threaded before you go - made by Vaude?

Yet on your CGOAB journal you said "My first mistake was to take a stove with a screw on gas canister - difficult if not impossible to find in France " ? I struggled in 2011 on a major tour, have things changed ?[/QUOTE]

Yup it was a mistake - but that was 1994 - later on I got better at looking for them - 1995/1996 I went over to Camping Gaz stoves but they were a bit fragile - so I went back to the screw type but cobbled up the gas pipes so that I could just swap the pipes over depending on what sort of gas I was using - Camping Gaz is my preferred gas - tends to last longer with a better flame and works better in the cold than all but the best of the screw in types - a little later I discovered the adaptors and from then on it was plain sailing - as to the availability of the screw on cylinders - yes now it is a lot easier to find them - but you have to look - big towns no problem - decathlon and proper outdoor shops - alps positively littered with them in outdoor shops - Camping gaz tho you can find everywhere in France - supermarkets, bricoledge all manner of shooting, fishing and other outdoor shops

Twowheelxtc

I've used the Edelrid converter to change Camping Gas screw to the standard Primus/Coleman etc screw we are used to here. It has always worked fine and a great back up to take BUT a couple of years ago I bought a new cartridge top screw on stove.....first time I tried to use it in France I found that the pin inside the converter wasn't long enough to screw fully into the stove! So had to buy a cheap Camping Gas stove.
So.....take an Edelrid converter for screw cartridges as it gives great flexibility.....but check it works with your stove before you go!

Top Bottom