Gas canisters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
I'm a bit of a newbie to cooking on the go. How easy are gas canisters to come by in Spain and France? And am I right in thinking that France uses Camping Gaz? I've got the screw top one to go with my Pocket Rocket stove which is great.

Dead easy in France - Camping Gaz easier - Spain Ive not found to be a problem - Camping Gas is again more readily available

Get an adaptor for Camping Gas to threaded before you go - made by Vaude?

doog

I'm a bit of a newbie to cooking on the go. How easy are gas canisters to come by in Spain and France? And am I right in thinking that France uses Camping Gaz? I've got the screw top one to go with my Pocket Rocket stove which is great.

You might struggle then...couldnt find anything to fit my Coleman F1 Lite (same fitting as your pocket rocket) but took a camping gaz Bleuet stove as reserve . Similar screw type fitting for repeated use, however they use CV470 or CV300 plus which are sold everywhere....perhaps buy the stove over there ? ...about £15

Damn, too late. I'm en route now! BTw what are the screw top ones called?

No idea I usually just walk into a shop and pick one up - common makes MSR, epigas primus - In Spain Ive found decathlon generally have them - and decent outdoor shops (few and far between) also Fishing and gunshops

I had a problem recently source the Gaz canister without the valve, i.e. the non reusable ones. The man in the shop told me those are being phased out and I should buy a new lamp. I eventually found the old ones and bought a few. I hope they never go obsolete.

You mean the puncture ones I assume yellow saddle. I had the impression that they were still relatively easy to find.

And they often seem cheaper.

I have an adaptor from Eldrid which allows you to use them with screw stoves etc. This means that you can actually detach your stove from the pierced gas cannister - the adaptor stays in place atop the canister. Sounds alarming I suppose but I haven't exploded yet.

I know this isn't maybe quite what you were thinking but it does allow access to a wide range of cannisters. I often carry a screw stove, that adaptor and a very small camping gas stove which means I am unlikely to run out of cannister gas anywhere remotely populated. And I can just buy whatever is cheapest. Sometimes you see the pierced cannisters very cheap.

This means that you can actually detach your stove from the pierced gas cannister - the adaptor stays in place atop the canister.

So there is a valve within the adaptor? The previous incarnation I had had one - the adaptor looked like the base of a bluet stove - which I used once having arrived in Greece by air and managed to get pierceable cartridge at a garage in the middle of nowhere - managed to find proper cartridges for the rest of the trip - Camping Gaz in Greece was olive rather than blue - carried it for 12 years without using it again before it disintegrated

So there is a valve within the adaptor? The previous incarnation I had had one - the adaptor looked like the base of a bluet stove - which I used once having arrived in Greece by air and managed to get pierceable cartridge at a garage in the middle of nowhere - managed to find proper cartridges for the rest of the trip - Camping Gaz in Greece was olive rather than blue - carried it for 12 years without using it again before it disintegrated

Well yes, there must be a valve within it.

This looks like it though I got mine via amazon.

http://www.tauntonleisure.com/edelr...de=1&gclid=CK_uv4b5jsYCFUnItAod0mEALQ#tdesc_1

Not sure what you mean by "proper" cartridges.

You mean the puncture ones I assume yellow saddle. I had the impression that they were still relatively easy to find.

And they often seem cheaper.

I have an adaptor from Eldrid which allows you to use them with screw stoves etc. This means that you can actually detach your stove from the pierced gas cannister - the adaptor stays in place atop the canister. Sounds alarming I suppose but I haven't exploded yet.

I know this isn't maybe quite what you were thinking but it does allow access to a wide range of cannisters. I often carry a screw stove, that adaptor and a very small camping gas stove which means I am unlikely to run out of cannister gas anywhere remotely populated. And I can just buy whatever is cheapest. Sometimes you see the pierced cannisters very cheap.
Yes, puncture ones, that's a better description. I'm glad to hear they haven't gone obsolete and are cheap. In my little town the one and only stockists seems to dictate what is and what isn't obsolete. It appears that the cheapest is conveniently obsolete.

Top Bottom