Car Boot Camping Gas Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Gota Ridge Monkey as well!
And a Cobb BBQ for the full outdoor eating experience!

Love our cobb yet to use it away with us.

tom73

Guru
An electric induction hob may well we this year's buy. I'd be interested in the waterproof version you mention, I was looking at the dometic hobs last year and it was the lack of waterproof that bothered me. We cook outside and our kitchen stuff lives outside and will get at least dewy. Were currently seriously tight and maxed out on space so while much of our gas goes on heating / boiling water for brews and cooking an electric kettle would be a bit of a space hog as it would be an as well as the pans.

Used to have a LPG car when it was 35p/l and have noticed that a few of the LPG filling stations have stopped doing LPG.

I don't think there is any risk of the local gas yard stopping selling it. There are some YouTube videos of people filling large propane cyclinders at a petrol station.

MIL tells me her campervan LPG tank is more than adequate for a couple of weeks in chilly weather (gas heater and stove)

Vango sizzle our is single but they do double one it's what we have not cheep or a lightweight but well made. How it stands up to being
outside all the time I don't know but they will take some weather. In a bit of shelter it should be fine the other handy things is it's low powered so no danger of tripping the supply. Soon heats up though and don't really notice the lower power. Cleaning is a whizz too just wipe it down.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Vango sizzle our is single but they do double one it's what we have not cheep or a lightweight but well made. How it stands up to being
outside all the time I don't know but they will take some weather. In a bit of shelter it should be fine the other handy things is it's low powered so no danger of tripping the supply. Soon heats up though and don't really notice the lower power. Cleaning is a whizz too just wipe it down.

Ours is a single Tefal induction hob, I don't use it in the rain, so no issue. I have tripped a campsite supply with it on full thrust....

tom73

Guru
Ours is a single Tefal induction hob, I don't use it in the rain, so no issue. I have tripped a campsite supply with it on full thrust....
I've seen a few of them out and about was on my list as possible.
Just nice to know ours can be packed away and not worry about damaging it with other stuff piled on top of it.
Being low powered give us the added option for running it off the ecoflow as a back up.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've seen a few of them out and about was on my list as possible.
Just nice to know ours can be packed away and not worry about damaging it with other stuff piled on top of it.
Being low powered give us the added option for running it off the ecoflow as a back up.

I didn't know until now such a thing was available!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Flogas also have the option of a 'plastic' canister and it's much lighter to lug about than the metal ones when full. Refills are about £50 (or were last year). We've both ! With the flogas you can see the gas level as it has a translucent side, so more accurate than the calor gauge !

This always makes me smile! In fact you can see the liquid level though the translucent panel rather than the gas. Also, these plastic cylinders do have a small issue if you are burning gas at a fast rate - because they are plastic they are thermally insulating and so the interior temperature can reduce enough to reduce gas availability. I worked with someone who was on the design and launch team of the original BP Gas Light bottle and had some insights to them.

Jameshow

Veteran
And patio gas connectors are different from the standard propane/butane.

I've got a Camping Gas 904, but we also use the press fit ones on our Camping gas BBQ (called the party grill).

As for patio gas, you've got both calor and the BP Flogas. Flogas also have the option of a 'plastic' canister and it's much lighter to lug about than the metal ones when full. Refills are about £50 (or were last year). We've both ! With the flogas you can see the gas level as it has a translucent side, so more accurate than the calor gauge !

They have a different push fit regulator too!

If your mains hookup is rated for it at the campsite, Ikea do a very inexpensive induction hob. I never used one for camping but it was my primary way of cooking for several years.

Top Bottom