Car Boot Camping Gas Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Not a cycling camping question but nevertheless there is a raft of camping experience here.

We are family car boot campers. For years we have used Campinggaz 907 cylinders holding 1.7kg of butane propane mix. The gas is fine it cooks and works fine. The form factor is good. Historically a 907 would last us 2 weeks nicely.

However with 2kids were finding were running a bit short especially as we've started doing 16days as opposed to 14.

The killer is that 907s ha e started to get a bit silly expensive, I used to pay Under £20 for a refil at the local gas merchant. If I took him 2 or 3 random cyclinders (you can find them all over) as well as the 907 he'd usually fill it for free.

However it's got stupidly expensive even the gas merchant wants close to £40 with camping outlets likely the same we'll be getting through 2 a year and I'm mean.

Last year we started taking a George Foreman with us when we was on electric which was a bit of a boon and are considering a camping induction hob. (Really don't want to be that family that turn up with a full bloody kitchen incl oven and microwave).

Alas I digress.

I am thinking of changing over to the smaller calorgas type cylinders apparently I can get 3.9 or 4.5kg for about £18 (refil) so twice as much gas for two thirds the price. So with twice as much we hopefully won't be running out while away and faffing about trying to find gas.

*We stay in the UK so the incompatibility of cyclinders outside the UK isn't a worry, and well retain Campinggaz for when we head out of the UK.

The choice then seems to be butane or propane. As I understand it butane stops working around zero degrees. Given we will be at Lomond from 1st of April and last year it was Freezing I think propane will be better. We've also been at Bolton Abbey at Easter camping in frost.

So am I missing any issues with switching (our stoves accept either gas)?

Any thoughts on patio gas type cylinders? The internet seems pretty capricious as to what's inside them?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Our Campervan uses Propane cylinders, most do these days and have used them for an external gas cooker as well. Can't comment on Patio heater cylinders.
I also have an Induction hob and a Remoska for when we have hook-up - why not (apart from extra clutter)?

Alex321

Veteran
Propane is generally a little less efficient, so you get less heat for the same weight of gas.

Which makes butane the better option if you will only be using it at positive temps.

Alex321

Veteran
They also use different regulators, so you can't just switch a propane cylinder in for butane or vice versa without also changing the regulator.

classic33

Leg End Member
Are you getting the cylinder sizes mixed up?
The 907 holds nearly 3kg, with the 904 holding just over half that.

The prices have shot up in recent years, across the board, for gas in cylinders/bottles.

Propane is better in colder conditions, but doesn't burn as efficiently as butane.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And patio gas connectors are different from the standard propane/butane.

I've got a Camping Gas 904, but we also use the press fit ones on our Camping gas BBQ (called the party grill).

As for patio gas, you've got both calor and the BP Flogas. Flogas also have the option of a 'plastic' canister and it's much lighter to lug about than the metal ones when full. Refills are about £50 (or were last year). We've both ! With the flogas you can see the gas level as it has a translucent side, so more accurate than the calor gauge !

tom73

Guru
We use propane in the van to which sounds to be the best option for you.
Patio gas is normal just a different looking cylinder often lightweight ones. Just stick to basics as long as your current set up works with different cylinders. As for induction hob we've one for when on EHU it's made for camping more robust and waterproof than normal ones.
@Fab Foodie idea about a Remoska is great idea we don't have one in the van but at home we have and it's great.
To add to options on when on gas a handy bit of kit is a ridge monkey do all sort of stuff in them.

tom73

Guru
@fossyant right with flogas it would give you option of lightweight cylinder.
It's a bit of an outlay to start with though we found one on ebay to exchange and move over once the normal Calor one needs refilling.
Calor supply has been a problem for a few years flogas looks to be more available and easier to get hold of.
I've also heard Calor want out of the uk market, price of cylinders are getting silly.

Gwylan

Veteran
Long term saving and practical is a refillable system that takes LPG. Fill up at petrol stations.
Came fitted on Vanessa and has saved us lots of money on the refills.
Not sure how you might install it though. Might need a fake refill point on the car.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Are you getting the cylinder sizes mixed up?
The 907 holds nearly 3kg, with the 904 holding just over half that.

The prices have shot up in recent years, across the board, for gas in cylinders/bottles.

Propane is better in colder conditions, but doesn't burn as efficiently as butane.

You're right I was mistaken a 907 is 2.7kg of gas but for £40.

While a propane 3.9kg is £19 so a 907 is about 3x the price per kg (but is less efficient )

Might even get a blue and a red for summer and winter.

I have more regulators than you can shake a stick at in all colours and connections.

tom73

Guru
Long term saving and practical is a refillable system that takes LPG. Fill up at petrol stations.
Not sure how you might install it though. Might need a fake refill point on the car.

Safefill is one option and Gaslow now do a small cylinder that's removable and fillable for the campervan market.

Fab Foodie

Patio gas is normal just a different looking cylinder often lightweight ones. Just stick to basics as long as your current set up works with different cylinders. As for induction hob we've one for when on EHU it's made for camping more robust and waterproof than normal ones.
@Fab Foodie idea about a Remoska is great idea we don't have one in the van but at home we have and it's great.
To add to options on when on gas a handy bit of kit is a ridge monkey do all sort of stuff in them.

Gota Ridge Monkey as well!
And a Cobb BBQ for the full outdoor eating experience!

Fab Foodie

LPG at Petrol stations seems to be on the decline so the campervan jungle drums tell me. Great if you have one locally....

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru

An electric induction hob may well we this year's buy. I'd be interested in the waterproof version you mention, I was looking at the dometic hobs last year and it was the lack of waterproof that bothered me. We cook outside and our kitchen stuff lives outside and will get at least dewy. Were currently seriously tight and maxed out on space so while much of our gas goes on heating / boiling water for brews and cooking an electric kettle would be a bit of a space hog as it would be an as well as the pans.

LPG at Petrol stations seems to be on the decline so the campervan jungle drums tell me. Great if you have one locally....

Used to have a LPG car when it was 35p/l and have noticed that a few of the LPG filling stations have stopped doing LPG.

I don't think there is any risk of the local gas yard stopping selling it. There are some YouTube videos of people filling large propane cyclinders at a petrol station.

MIL tells me her campervan LPG tank is more than adequate for a couple of weeks in chilly weather (gas heater and stove)

Last edited:
Top Bottom