Gas cannisters when touring in Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bikepacker

bikepacker

Veteran
Is that an adaptor forom CV to pierce? For some reason I assumed it was from Screw to pierce?

There are two possible adaptors. One is to convert puncture-type cannisters to a fit a screw thread stove. The other is to convert push-on or CV cannisters to screw thread stoves. Both have built in non-return valves to allow the removal of the stove from the adaptor.

I carry both when touring in Europe but if I could only carry one it would be for the puncture-type cannister as they are the most widely available.

andym

Über Member
Is that an adaptor forom CV to pierce? For some reason I assumed it was from Screw to pierce?

there are two types of adapter both made by Edelrid (was Markill)/Vaude. One for using CV canisters with screw-on burner.

valve_adaptor.jpg

The other for using puncture cartridges with a screw-on burner.

puncture_style_cartridge_adaptor.jpg

http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/edelrid-puncturestyle-cartridge-adaptor-p-881.html

http://www.actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/edelrid-valve-cartridge-adapter-p-880.html

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I get it. It doesn't help if you have a CV stove but Smiffy seems to have better luck than me. I'm sure the French will come round to CV eventually though!

Is it safe to leave the adaptor on the pierce-able canister in the pannier?

I get it. It doesn't help if you have a CV stove but Smiffy seems to have better luck than me.

You have either got it or you hav'nt

I'm sure the French will come round to CV eventually though!

In my experience France is the most CV rich place in Europe (possibly the world)

Is it safe to leave the adaptor on the pierce-able canister in the pannier?

Yes - I keep mine in a bag on top of my rack with the burner detached

willem

Über Member
There does seem to be some confusion. There are three types: pierce, screw on with a valve and click on with a valve (CV). Pierce cannisters are easiest to get, but are also a bit inconvenient and not the safest thing. The cannisters with a valve are better, but unfortunately there are two types: the screw on with a Lindall valve such as used by Primus, Coleman and many others, and the Camping Gas click-on version. In most countries the screw on canisters are quite easy to get (though never as easy as the piercable ones), but in France you can forget about getting screw on cannisters. France is Camping Gaz / click-on country. If you have a screw on stove, you need either an adapter for pierceable cannisters, or for click-on cannisters. There is one alternative, however, and that is to use a stove with a connector that works wioth both the scre on valve and the click-on valve. MSR do one, but Primus now also have at least three dual mode models.
Willem

rusky

CC Addict
On returning from France after a week camping, I can confirm that the puncture & CV (CV more so) are readily available in northern France. However, the R90x less so!

Top Bottom