Gatorskins 23mm or M+ 25mm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I'm sure I've seen similar threads on here but I can't find them in the search.

I rode on Gatorskins for a long time with only a couple of punctures. Of course I got a bit cocky thinking it was the end of punctures and then over the past fortnight had five punctures over both tyres and the front innertube go bang.

Although it has plenty of tread I replaced the front tyre which had the blowout which has staved things off for a while, but obviously you start to lose faith in the tyres a bit.

I'm not sure if it's just this time of year with lots of crap being washed onto the roads, whether I am just having bad luck or whether I was just having good luck.

My commute is mainly along busy country roads but also some poorly swept cycle paths with the normal broken glass. I'm not really too concerned about weight if it avoids me trying to repair a puncture by a busy road in the rain and dark. Other than all these punctures I have been happy with the Gatorskins, they have enough grip for my purposes and last well, but I do see reviews on here that they are puncture prone.

Time to order a new spare tyre so... stick with 23mm Conti Gatorskins or try 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus? Thank you for suggestions!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not 25mm gatorskins? I have a pair waiting for the Vittorias to wear out on my Genesis

I hated M+, Uncomfortable, sluggish, slippery in the wet and I don't get enough visits to warrant those downsides. They can still puncture and a pita to get off and on

Durano plus another alternative? Vittoria Rubinos aren't bad either, I've barely had a visit

Spa have Schwalbe tyres at a good price

Last edited:
OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
@vickster thanks, good to know. I'm happy with 23s so no need to change other than M+ not being available with them.

I have heard the M+ are unpleasant to ride on so perhaps avoid. And I was also concerned that, as you say, if you do get a puncture they will be a bugger to get on and off.

I might try the Rubinos as they seem to get good reviews plus more importantly they have a stripe on the tyre.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I (edit: unfairly) lost faith in gatorskins after weekly or more punctures. Turned out there was a cut right through, and though I'd removed the glass or thorn the lumpy bit of rubber was causing repeat punctures. Replaced with a new durano and no problem since. That said the front gatorskin hasn't had a single puncture in something like 15000 miles and still has life it too

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@vickster thanks, good to know. I'm happy with 23s so no need to change other than M+ not being available with them.

I have heard the M+ are unpleasant to ride on so perhaps avoid. And I was also concerned that, as you say, if you do get a puncture they will be a bugger to get on and off.

I might try the Rubinos as they seem to get good reviews plus more importantly they have a stripe on the tyre.
Except you might like 25mm gatorskins more than the 23mm! Not heard of many people who switched from 23 to 25 and went back.....

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
@J1888 no just the standard ones, I could try the Hardshell ones but wasn't quite sure of how much difference there is.

@Profpointy I think this was the ultimate demise of the front tyre, it has been on so long with so many minute cuts that eventually the whole surface started pulling itself apart. Again it was into the tens of thousands of miles. The rear was replaced a while back because it had worn down you could see the casing.

@T4tomo honestly I am not bothered either way. When I try a bike with 25mm it feels less sharp but that is probably mostly unfamiliarity. I know people say 25mm has the same rolling resistance, can't quite see how it works scientifically unless there is a "sweet point" in tyres where RR increases in either direction.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@J1888 no just the standard ones, I could try the Hardshell ones but wasn't quite sure of how much difference there is.

@Profpointy I think this was the ultimate demise of the front tyre, it has been on so long with so many minute cuts that eventually the whole surface started pulling itself apart. Again it was into the tens of thousands of miles. The rear was replaced a while back because it had worn down you could see the casing.

@T4tomo honestly I am not bothered either way. When I try a bike with 25mm it feels less sharp but that is probably mostly unfamiliarity. I know people say 25mm has the same rolling resistance, can't quite see how it works scientifically unless there is a "sweet point" in tyres where RR increases in either direction.
No noticeable difference in performance for me, but a noticeable difference in comfort on the UKs delightful roads. I even have 28mm on the workhorse /commuter /winter steel bike

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I rode on Gatorskins for a long time with only a couple of punctures. Of course I got a bit cocky thinking it was the end of punctures and then over the past fortnight had five punctures over both tyres and the front innertube go bang.
It does seem to happen, almost regardless of tyre model (M+ excepted), that you can have no punctures for ages, and then a sudden rash of them.

I've come to the conclusion that you can ride through a patch of broken glass that's been crushed by car tyres, pick up a number of fragments all at the same time, and that they then work through far enough to puncture the tube at different rates, giving one puncture after another.

I'd suggest going over both tyres carefully, with a pointy object to poke down small cuts to feet for fragments of glass. I probably wouldn't bother at the first puncture, but would on the second.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
It does seem to happen, almost regardless of tyre model (M+ excepted), that you can have no punctures for ages, and then a sudden rash of them.

I've come to the conclusion that you can ride through a patch of broken glass that's been crushed by car tyres, pick up a number of fragments all at the same time, and that they then work through far enough to puncture the tube at different rates, giving one puncture after another.

I'd suggest going over both tyres carefully, with a pointy object to poke down small cuts to feet for fragments of glass. I probably wouldn't bother at the first puncture, but would on the second.
Hi Andrew,

The punctures were all caused by different things, one a piece of flint, the next a piece of glass, etc. I am thinking it is just that the heavy rain has washed lots of crap onto the roads.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I honestly think it can be just pure bad luck sometimes..... you get a run of punctures.
I hadn't had a puncture in months , then I changed from the standard Vittoria tyres on my Boardman to Gatorskins (25s) and on my first commute got a puncture, followed by a couple more pretty quickly.
Since then I have been happy with the Gators..... thats it now....puncture tomorrow :laugh:

Top Bottom