Gatorskins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I should hope so, it's only a few weeks away :biggrin: :biggrin:

I did seriously consider the Spesh's before getting my M+'s, but just couldn't find enough views on them.
In my limited experience, Specialized don't seem to make any duff kit so I'd be surprised if they weren't pretty good.

The M+'s are good, but by 'eck they don't roll too well (again, IMO) :rolleyes:

GrasB

Veteran
I find the surface slits up but doesn't get cut deeply enough to cause problems. I just have to pull out the stuff that gets pushed sideways into the tread (though this is a problem with all tyres I've used. The slippery when wet & getting loads of punctures is something I've had problems with on UltraSport Kevlars, the Ultra Gatorskins are much better than that. I may try a different tyre next time.

U

User6179

Did about 4000 miles(one front and two back tyres)on the spesh nimbus armadillo without a single punture but found i only got 1500 miles out of the last back tyre so i replaced it with a m+.

Only did about 300 miles on the m+ so far and they feel no better or worse on rolling resistance too the armadillos.

Gatorskins, no no no no no! Good catchy name and that's about it. I had several punctures in the first couple of months of riding them. Just as a matter of interest have a look at what cheaper road bikes come shod with and you will find that gatorskins are one of them. I have different tyres for winter and summer because the tyre hasn't been invented as far as I can see that does it all. Softer compounds cut up too easily in winter and I wanted a tyre that would be reliable. I don't want to be sat by the roadside tryng to get a tyre off on a club run in January.
The solution after years of trying out different makes is Vredestein Tricomps in summer, fantastic cornering and good puncture resistance, and Bontrager Hardcase for winter riding. Not as much feel on the Bontrager but then I'm not racing around in the winter. To put it into perspective my better half and I have had these tyres for 2 winters now and the only puncture we have suffered was a pinch flat after hitting a rock in the road and the tyre pressure was too low. Conservatively then, about 12000mls, 0 punctures. Now that is a no brainer.

Top Bottom