Gatwick - 15th Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlexRoy

First one on Sunday, not really sure what to expect: total newbie looking for advice..

Says the start is 8.30 - 10.30, does this mean I can start any time from 8.30?
Going to be 5 degrees in the morning and no rain forecast, which is base layer + jersey weather for me. Will I be the only one in non-winter gear and/or look a prat?
Do I have to stop at the check point type things or can I just ride on?
Anything I need to do at the end?

Thanks!

toeknee

Über Member
Flying is not that bad really. ......^_^

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
@AlexRoy I'm doing Gatwick on the 15th too. I've done a few sportives and they are good fun.
Ok, in answer to your questions, you can start at 8.30 at the earliest but must be on your way by 10.30 or 9.45 if doing the long route. You'll get a number and a timing chip that sticks on your helmet when you register before starting. There's nothing you need to do at the end except cross the finish line. There are no check points as such, but there are food and drink stops. It's all free and you don't have to stop but you'll be glad of them I can assure you! As for clothing, bear in mind you'll be out in the cold for a few hours so I'd recommend something windproof but it really is up to you. Just don't get cold or you won't enjoy it much. Most riders are friendly so have fun and enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AlexRoy

@AlexRoy I'm doing Gatwick on the 15th too. I've done a few sportives and they are good fun.
Ok, in answer to your questions, you can start at 8.30 at the earliest but must be on your way by 10.30 or 9.45 if doing the long route. You'll get a number and a timing chip that sticks on your helmet when you register before starting. There's nothing you need to do at the end except cross the finish line. There are no check points as such, but there are food and drink stops. It's all free and you don't have to stop but you'll be glad of them I can assure you! As for clothing, bear in mind you'll be out in the cold for a few hours so I'd recommend something windproof but it really is up to you. Just don't get cold or you won't enjoy it much. Most riders are friendly so have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to it, hope you enjoy too!

OP
OP
A

AlexRoy

Really enjoyed it thanks - weather was perfect. Definitely seemed like I was one of very few not sporting winter gear but was glad for it when the sun came out. Thought it could have been organised a bit better, long queues for registration and the start line, didn't set off until around 9.30.

I think I underestimated how hilly it was going to be - that climb just after the m25 was particularly bad, found myself reaching for a non-existent lower gear. Few people came off on the steep and slippy descent that followed, was an ambulance parked up near the bottom when I passed.

I did the medium route so turned right when passing food station no. 2; didn't see a soul for 5-10 miles after that, felt a tad lonely! Finished just after 12.30 and was glad to, definitely overdid it early on!!

How about you? Do you know how/when the results are published?

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Good work @AlexRoy! Glad you enjoyed it, I did too. It's quite a distance so eating/drinking plenty and pacing yourself are very important. I did the long route and stupidly didn't stop at feed station 2 and started to flag about 50 miles in. You live and learn! Got my second wind a few miles from the finish though, so all good. Got back about 2pm.
If you haven't seen them, you can look at rider times here...
http://images.evanscycles.com/uploa...E_IT_Gatwick_Sportive_Rider_Times_2015_V2.pdf
There were a few more hills than I expected tbh, you'll be glad you missed "The Wall" on the long route, it was a killer!
It was a chilly start but it was nice when the sun came out though and the roads were a bit drier.
I too saw the ambulance, I hope whoever it was was ok. That was a particularly steep and slippery descent, more warning signs wouldn't have gone a miss there I think.
I got there for 8am and I agree, the que was very long. Better organisation and more staff when running two events from one venue would have been better. I think there were about 100 entrants on the day which probably didn't help. I think it caught them out a bit, it was about 9.30 by the time I got going too.
All in all a good day though. Time too book up another one now! :smile:

Top Bottom