Gay Mountain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
did anyone else see this middle finger salute by Channel 4 to Russia last night?

Nope.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The snowflakes that turned into Olympic Rings in the opening ceremony were nice. Shame one failed to open. Hang on though, the Russian domestic TV coverage used pre-recorded footage so it looked perfect to the Russian audience.

Whilst I admire C4's rhetoric it is, i feel, much more about making folk in the UK feel better about watching the Olympics than it is about effecting a change in Russian attitudes and mores.

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

The snowflakes that turned into Olympic Rings in the opening ceremony were nice. Shame one failed to open. Hang on though, the Russian domestic TV coverage used pre-recorded footage so it looked perfect to the Russian audience.

Whilst I admire C4's rhetoric it is, i feel, much more about making folk in the UK feel better about watching the Olympics than it is about effecting a change in Russian attitudes and mores.

Didn't know about the pre-recorded images, although I'm not surprised.

And yes I agree, I thought the little scene after the song saying "Channel 4, Born Risky" was more of a "check out how good we are" rather than them wanting to change any kind of homophobic discrimination in Russia.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Games are the event...
Activists are using their own agendas to overshadow it..
If I visit another country, I live by its laws...I don't try and change their thinking.
Fair enough. That's a coherent pov. I hope you'll agree so is mine

The Russian government, and Putin in particular, are using their own agenda to overshadow it.
If I don't like the laws of a country I won't visit it.. and I do what I can to try to change their thinking.

OP
OP
N

nuttall1991

Activists are using their own agendas to overshadow it..
If I visit another country, I live by its laws...I don't try and change their thinking.

Very true.

Although the modern Olympic Games have been used as political platforms many many times before like during the cold war for example.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Fair enough. That's a coherent pov. I hope you'll agree so is mine

The Russian government, and Putin in particular, are using their own agenda to overshadow it.
If I don't like the laws of a country I won't visit it.. and I do what I can to try to change their thinking.

Yeah, with you..
Funnily the last games in Russia were 'agendified' as well although the lasting memories of Allan Wells's missus screeching her man home in the 100 metres was the highlight........................not.

Top Bottom