Gazza

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Gascoigne - genius? He would not figure in my top 500.
Isn't this a 'Dog bites man' story? Now if it were a 'Man bites dog' story, it would be different! I have no sympathy for these 'celebrities', no-one forces them to act that way.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
"Genius" carries with it the air of a creative thinker. I cannot accept the "creative" or "thinker" apply to football players who are in the most part grossly overpaid and singularly lacking in any useful talent other than being able to make obscene gestures and fart loudly. On the human front, I have sincere sympathy with anyone genuinely afflicted with mental impairment. I wish Mr Gascoigne well.

ASC1951

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
"Genius" carries with it the air of a creative thinker. I cannot accept the "creative" or "thinker" apply to football players who are in the most part grossly overpaid and singularly lacking in any useful talent other than being able to make obscene gestures and fart loudly.
'Genius' certainly doesn't mean that in normal speech. It includes exceptional skill at any activity, whether mental or not, and that's how people apply it to footballers.

You either appreciate brilliant sportsmen or you don't; it's a personal thing, like appreciating art or music. Professional sport has been with us for several thousand years and the whole point of it is that it's useless. Sport is one of the things that distinguishes humans from all other species.

In his prime Gazza was a delight to watch. Many of us can still remember goals he scored tweny years ago, and any skill with that sort of impact can't be dismissed as worthless.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
ASC1951 said:
'Genius' certainly doesn't mean that in normal speech. It includes exceptional skill at any activity, whether mental or not, and that's how people apply it to footballers.

You either appreciate brilliant sportsmen or you don't; it's a personal thing, like appreciating art or music. Professional sport has been with us for several thousand years and the whole point of it is that it's useless. Sport is one of the things that distinguishes humans from all other species.

In his prime Gazza was a delight to watch. Many of us can still remember goals he scored tweny years ago, and any skill with that sort of impact can't be dismissed as worthless.

I am exceptionally skilled in frying the perfect egg. Am I a genius?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There are far more self indulgent wasters in the music business than you will ever find in football, and they mostly earn far more.

Hendrix, Joplin, Winehouse, Moon, Bonham, Jones etc etc etc.

Yet it is footballers who seem to bring out the spluttering "Disgusted of Tonbridge" brigade.

wafflycat

I hope he gets the medical & emotional support he needs. Mind you, if he hasn't got it after all these years, I somehow doubt he'll get it now. Which is very sad.

Top Bottom