Gb superhood + levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

Hi guys I'm looking at a set of gb superhood plus levers for the fp 60.s biuld
They are in good condition
But getting a pair with ghere hoods in good condition is like rocking horse poo
Can you get replacements for the series if so could someone show me a link

Or back in the day would the levers be used without the hoods

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180921-131343_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180921-131343_eBay.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 39

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I certainly remember them being used without hoods.

rrarider

Veteran
You could try the Cane Creek hoods, which fit quite a few types of old levers. I have a pair for when my Weinmann gum hood pack up. I haven't tried them yet, as it's bound to be struggle to get them on when the old hoods eventually fall to pieces.

I wouldn't ride without hoods for long, as I, and most people I presume, ride with my thumbs hooked over the brake housing which would be uncomfortable without a bit of padding.

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

You could try the Cane Creek hoods, which fit quite a few types of old levers. I have a pair for when my Weinmann gum hood pack up. I haven't tried them yet, as it's bound to be struggle to get them on when the old hoods eventually fall to pieces.

I wouldn't ride without hoods for long, as I, and most people I presume, ride with my thumbs hooked over the brake housing which would be uncomfortable without a bit of padding.

To be fair the biuld is just a project and the bike when finished will be just used for coffee runs and recovery rides
Being a 60.s biuld theres alot of chrome and metal on show so the levers without hoods would fit in with the biuld
But wouldn't want to ride without hoods if it was never done in the past as want the bike to look as period as possible

rrarider

Veteran
Thinking about it, I did have a commuter bike without hoods many years ago. It was a Raleigh gas pipe model, namely a Sun GT 10XL. It didn't have hoods, mainly because it had 'suicide levers' fitted as standard. I always rode my bikes wearing either track mitts or gloves in the cold weather. I remember that even with something on my hands, that Sun model made my hands sore.

Edit : Type Sun GT 10XL into a search engine and you will find lots of pictures of the model, complete with it's useless dual method brake levers

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
To be fair the biuld is just a project and the bike when finished will be just used for coffee runs and recovery rides
Being a 60.s biuld theres alot of chrome and metal on show so the levers without hoods would fit in with the biuld
But wouldn't want to ride without hoods if it was never done in the past as want the bike to look as period as possible
No hoods and the brake levers mounted low on the handlebars was normal BITD, with old brake calipers there was none of this 'one finger braking' malarkey.

DSCN0110.JPG

nonowt

Über Member
OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

a quick flick through the gallery and builds over on Classic Lightweights shows most riders riding without hoods.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/gallery.html

However, pedal pedlar have a set for £45:
https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/products/bspare26nos-gb-super-nos-brake-hoods

and there's a chance the Rustine hoods designed for Mafac levers might fit:

https://www.veloduo.co.uk/products/...-levers-gum-black-or-white?variant=5142358145

Thanks for the links thats great

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

Top Bottom