GCN Video - 5 minute bike clean

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roscoe

Veteran
Having a wee look round You Tube and came across this. The presenter was cleaning a Specialized S Works and advocated the use of WD 40 as a degreaser and lube. Said he had ridden winter and summer with no issues and using WD 40 as both seemed to help it lubricate better. Very odd, I thought this was a no no?

He was also madly spraying the WD40 very close to if not on the wheels when he was lubing the cassette, chain and cables, not good for braking I would have thought.

Maybe I'm too cautious when it comes to spraying lube near the wheels/braking surfaces.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Having a wee look round You Tube and came across this. The presenter was cleaning a Specialized S Works and advocated the use of WD 40 as a degreaser and lube. Said he had ridden winter and summer with no issues and using WD 40 as both seemed to help it lubricate better. Very odd, I thought this was a no no?

He was also madly spraying the WD40 very close to if not on the wheels when he was lubing the cassette, chain and cables, not good for braking I would have thought.

Maybe I'm too cautious when it comes to spraying lube near the wheels/braking surfaces.

Have you forgotten the link?

GC

Citius

WD works as both a degreaser and a lube, so not really suprised to see it being used to degrease and then lube. GT85 will do the same. Same as the guy in the video, I have used it for many years like this, without issue.

If you are using it to degrease a chain, of course it will wash out the lube. It wouldn't be much use as a degreaser if it didn't.

OP
OP
Roscoe

Roscoe

Veteran
Ok, so works as a degreaser and possibly a lube.

What about spraying copious amounts near the braking surfaces? Am I being overly cautious when it comes to spraying near the wheels?

Citius

Ok, so works as a degreaser and possibly a lube.

What about spraying copious amounts near the braking surfaces? Am I being overly cautious when it comes to spraying near the wheels?

Like any oil-based solvent/lube - probably best to keep it away from the braking surfaces. But if it does get on them, just wipe it off.

Top Bottom