gear hanger for carrera gryphon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gibokrules

just aquired a carrera gryphon and the rear derailleur was cobbled onto the bike and when i removed this i've found that there is no gear hanger and i can't seem to find one anywhere!!! does anyone know where i can get one? thanks Graham.
i've found this photo of what i think it should look like!!!
mech.jpg

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Search eBay for gear hanger and you will find lots..... sadly a hanger style may be used on numerous makes and models so it normally requires you to search through the pictures to identify the right one. You might be lucky if you search for carrera gear hanger.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @gibokrules

Derailleur hangers are difficult one as there are over 100 different designs (don't ask me why - it's like asking why does the motorcycle company I work for need a different air filter for every single model, even when they share the same engine? :huh: :scratch:)

I've had a good look through the ones listed by SJS Cycles who usually have stuff that I don't see listed elsewhere but I can't spot an exact match : http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/replacement-dropouts-dept669_pg1/#page=1

The best thing I can recommend is to ask a good local bike shop as they will have access to the trade catalogues and should be able to find it for you. Carrera bikes used to be made by Merida (and probably still are) which may help in the search.:okay:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
In the ideal world you would be able to go into your local Halfords as they sell the Carrera range and just ask for the hanger you want........but it isn't an ideal world. It may be worth asking......or it might be just as useful if you ask at your local newsagents.

OP
OP
G

gibokrules

thanks Phil and mr and mrs Poves, i spent all last night on the internet searching, ended up sending photos to Gearmechhanger.com hoping for them to come up with something!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

At a price!

I suspect it's this one...... half the price on eBay!
Although in your pic there are 3 screws....One looks like a later addition?
Screenshot_2015-06-12-23-35-39.png

D

Deleted member 23692

At a price!
Really?

The last few 'cheap option' ebay ones I've been daft enough to purchase of ebay have either had oversized threads and/or poor sizing - so they got binned

One that did eventually fit sheared off whist riding and stuffed the rear mech into the spokes. Luckily I only suffered one bent spoke but it wrecked an XT mech and the chain.. not to mention the 3 mile walk/freewheel back to civilisation. My spare hanger of the same make got binned after that episode too.

So yeah, I'll agree the ones I posted the link to aren't the cheapest about, but they've certainly worked out more cost effective in my experience. I'll only buy 'decent' these these days

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Really?

The last few 'cheap option' ebay ones I've been daft enough to purchase of ebay have either had oversized threads and/or poor sizing - so they got binned

One that did eventually fit sheared off whist riding and stuffed the rear mech into the spokes. Luckily I only suffered one bent spoke but it wrecked an XT mech and the chain.. not to mention the 3 mile walk/freewheel back to civilisation. My spare hanger of the same make got binned after that episode too.

So yeah, I'll agree the ones I posted the link to aren't the cheapest about, but they've certainly worked out more cost effective in my experience. I'll only buy 'decent' these these days

I have never had any problems with eBay hangers. Including 5 years of mountain biking and 7 on the road. I have only bent 2 hangers in that time - one in a rather spectacular argument with a tree root where I was extremely surprised that the only damage sustained on the bike was the hanger (I had a few scrapes and bruises but was happy to have come off so lightly)
The other time was on my tourer when the Deore rear mech snapped at one of its pivots and fed itself into the rear wheel pulling the hanger over as it went.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
[QUOTE 3742762, member: 45"]That one won't fit. It's different.[/QUOTE]

Hard to tell from a picture of a hanger that might look like the one that the OP wants.....but as his bike doesn't currently have one at all and he has posted a picture of what it might look like it is hard to be sure......
It really is much easier to compare what you need with the photos while holding what you need in your hand.....also worth remembering that some hangers look identical from one side but are different on the other side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom