Gear Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mannion

Regular
I am having trouble with the chain rubbing against the front derailleur when im in the higher gears which also seems to be linked to the chain not running around the cassette smoothly. The chain seems to keep jumping between 2 gears and doesnt stay locked in gear. I have tried adjusting the derailleur slightly but then that makes the chain rub against it when i go back down to the low gears.

Is it just a case of needing to find the right angle for the derailleur? This all came about when I had to move the derailleur because my chain had got jammed between it and the largest chain ring and I musnt be putting it back in the right place

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It would seem that both derailleurs are out of adjustment. Your chain is travelling too far causing it to go off the cassette. There are two screws on both sets which control the travel. From memory its the one nearest the wheel which adjusts the largest gear, but there lots of videos on YouTube which can guide you. Good luck.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
It does sound like what Adrian describes.
I straightened mine once by putting an Allen key in to the Allen bolt that holds the derraileur on to the hanger and Bending it very carefully until it came back in to line.
Once you've done that visually check the chain line between the derraileur and the rear cassette to see if it's running straight. If this is your problem it should sort it. Unless there's damage elsewhere.
Hope this helps you out.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have posted before about my enthusiasm for the rear mech alignment tool, sound like you could do with one.

OP
OP
M

Mannion

Regular
Thanks for the advise guys, I went on youtube and watched many videos on how to adjust the front & rear derailleurs and it seems to be sorted now. The front derailleur was far too high and the rear was out of alignment with the barrel needing some adjustment too :thumbsup:

Sharky

Guru
I had similar problems, so I removed all the cables, took off the front changer and removed the rear mech and all the levers. Took a few links out of the chain and fitted a one speed cassette without a free wheel and bingo - no more rubbing or catching!

Keith
:smile:

Top Bottom