Gear Lever & Rear Derailleur Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ridelover9941

I have Tawain made road bike levers that say just CHARGER. I am getting a vintage SunTour VX rear derailleur in the mail today to replace my older original one and just want to know if these "Tawain'' made levers will work with the Japanese SunTour derailleur. Thanks in advance!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are they friction? If so, they will almost certainly work. If indexed, it'll depend what they were designed for.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Are they indexed shifters? Have you counted the clicks? I'd say try it and see, might just. If friction type they'll be fine.

midlife

Guru
If they don't click then they are good old friction levers :smile: .the new rear mech will work fine. The VX came with different cage lengths, you might have to check the chain is the correct length after the swap.

midlife

Guru
You might need a bit more outer and a new cable depending on what the old mech was. Does your dropout have the hanger on it or is the hanger attached to the mech?

friction levers then, should be fine

OP
OP
R

ridelover9941

You might need a bit more outer and a new cable depending on what the old mech was. Does your dropout have the hanger on it or is the hanger attached to the mech?
The hangar is a part of the mech. I have a very long cable already installed (a new cable set) but I might have to re-size the chain. Everything else is ready, the levers and cables.

Top Bottom