Gear Lever struggling to shift...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi

Everything was fine, the next day I can't seem to able to shift into a big ring.
So at home, I investigate, to see that in order to shift I have to push the lever all the way as much as it can go in order to shift with lots of resistance. With 2 hands only.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

How can return the shifter to its former glory, without having to push the lever with 2 hands?

Domus

Guru
Not an expert but I would start by disconnecting the cable at the front mech, then see if the shifter or mech is the issue.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

Not an expert but I would start by disconnecting the cable at the front mech, then see if the shifter or mech is the issue.
Already did and the front mech does not seem to be an issue.

Something is up with the lever its soooooooo stifffff

Globalti

Legendary Member
Your cable is fraying inside the shifter and some strands have got stuck inside the outer. Time for a new cable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New cable as has been said. Fixed about 90% of shifting issues.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Feel (tentatively) the cable under the bottom bracket. That's the other regular point of failure, and as inside the shifter, one not so easy to see.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No - pretty easy and intuitive. Make sure the shifter is clicked to its 'minimum or no tension' point to let the little knob on the end of the cable exit the shifter. Indexing the gears afterwards is more difficult, though doing a double front derailleur will not be so challenging, even first time. Plenty of videos out there.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

No - pretty easy and intuitive. Make sure the shifter is clicked to its 'minimum or no tension' point to let the little knob on the end of the cable exit the shifter. Indexing the gears afterwards is more difficult, though doing a double front derailleur will not be so challenging, even first time. Plenty of videos out there.
I don't think indexing is needed though is it if they are already in the right positions?

I had a look a youtube seems ok, will probably take me half a day though :biggrin: :biggrin: but It will save me £20 ;)

Top Bottom