gear ratio mistake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't quite know how to explain this in a post so please bare with me .
After a steep climb tonight I had mistakenly left the bike on the middle front ring and just changed down on the back for a short flat stretch before hitting a long steady uphill drag back home which usually I'd go at in the largest gear on both front and back which leaves me out of breath and with my legs burning .
Tonight after the gear ratio mistake I was in front middle ring and four down on the back which not only proved to be faster,around 3mph ,but I also still felt fresh at the top and I just wanted to keep going .
Have I been getting it wrong and can a difference in gear ratio make such a difference .
What is your view on this guys and what combination do you normally use for climbing

Erm...the gear that keeps my cadence steady and gets me to the top?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You shouldnt use the largest chainring at the front in combination with a large cog at the back.The chain will be pulling at a big angle and may rub on the front derailleur arm or even snap due to the uneven stress.

Being in the middle front chainring and a middle cog at the back gives a straighter pull. For climbing steeper hills use the smallest chainring at the front with one of your larger cogs on the back to get a faster cadence which will be easier on your legs and the chain.

Some people climb in higher gears than others, it depends on your fitness and style of riding, you can climb a short hill in a higher gear by standing up and grinding your way up on longer hills its usually more efficient to use a lower (easier) gear.

You really should avoid the big/big combo as Banjo explains. Theoretically you'll climb faster in the big ring but if you cant turn it (poor cadence) you'll be far slower, in which case the middle ring is a far better option. FWIW On a particularly long hill today I stayed in the small ring of a 38/52 all the way and passed most folk that started off in their large ring, except two folk who are super strong and they stayed in their large rings all the way.

Top Bottom