Gear Ratio

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njsmith

I've recently purchased a Specialized Elite Allez road bike and it comes with a compact chainset/gear set up - think its described as front 50-34 and rear as 12-25.

Compared to my old road bike which was a triple set-up have found the local hills a wee bit harder ie have that feeling that I want to go down another gear but am already riding on the lowest one!

Anyway, doing a race in June and they recommend for novice riders (which would include me) a triple on the front and a 12-25 on the back.

Therefore is my gear ratio way out, or will I just find the hills a bit harder than other folk??

Also is it easily to change the set up or should I just stick with the compact set-up and over time my legs will build up the strength more for hills??

redddraggon

Blondie
njsmith said:
Anyway, doing a race in June and they recommend for novice riders (which would include me) a triple on the front and a 12-25 on the back.

If you are racing in June, and you can't handle 50/34 and 12-25, you'll be out of the back in no time. And I'd concentrate on training, rather fitting a triple.

Is it actually a race? doesn't sound like one, never heard of organisers recommending gearing before.

OP
OP
N

njsmith

Its a half ironman triathlon, so not an actual cycle race as such. We will all be very much spaced out on the bike course rather than getting dropped (thankfully - as I wouldn't stand a chance!)

redddraggon

Blondie
Is it a hilly course? I reckon that unless you are going to be multiple long 15+% climbs, a 34-25 lowest gear would be sufficient once you have got the miles in.

OP
OP
N

njsmith

It is a hilly course but only one 14% climb and supposedly its over quite soon. Think the organisers have hyped it up a bit but not being a strong cyclist was starting to panic.

Supposedly over the 56 miles we ascent 1,700 meters - not being an experienced cyclist is that a lot? Or once I practise a lot over the next few weeks will that be the norm?? I'm a runner (do marathons in a quick-ish time for a female so no reason why my legs shouldn't be strong enough with more cycle practise.)

Hont

Guru
1700m in 56 miles (nice metric/imperial mix there!) is a reasonably large amount of climbing but it's only the steepness that determines whether you will be overgeared or not. If I was you, I'd take a trip out to the 14% climb and try it out.

jimboalee

34 to 25 eh.

That's 36 inches in the old language.

50 rpm at 5.3 mph ( 8.5 kmh ).

8.5 kmh up a 14%? 340 Watts... Good luck pal.

35 rpm at 6 kmh.

6 kmh up a 14%? 225 Watts... Possible.

How are you at pedalling at 35 rpm?

OP
OP
N

njsmith

Jimboalee - am not quite sure what that all means - though I think you mean it could be hard going!!!

My average pace over a hilly-ish 35 mile course at present is 14mph - though thats not killing myself just pushing at a steady pace and could hold a conversation etc.

Think I pedal consistently at a cadence of 80.

Where I live there aren't many hills with the gradent signs about - though I don't believe that we don't have such hills as round Aberdeen is fairly hilly.

Will just need to go up and down the nearest big hill I can find and build up my legs!!

oliver

well i'm not axactly an experienced cyclist and i have the same set up 34-50 11-25 and i can mannage most hills even though i may end up plodding up at 5mph

scott s10

njsmith said:
I've recently purchased a Specialized Elite Allez road bike and it comes with a compact chainset/gear set up - think its described as front 50-34 and rear as 12-25.

Compared to my old road bike which was a triple set-up have found the local hills a wee bit harder ie have that feeling that I want to go down another gear but am already riding on the lowest one!

Therefore is my gear ratio way out, or will I just find the hills a bit harder than other folk??

Also is it easily to change the set up or should I just stick with the compact set-up and over time my legs will build up the strength more for hills??
you dont need a triple no matter what anyone says , there just for lazy people , if your racing a triathlon the bike bit will be like a time trial so you should be in your big ring all the way

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
cyberknight said:
And some clip on aero bars if they are allowed in the event .

To add to this if you intend on going aero go aero sooner rather than later if you try doing it last minute it will be hell, and you don't have all that long to prepaire. Not only does it take time to get your position right fine tuning your seat and handlebars can take weeks and numerous rides and it can take some time to adjust to riding in a tucked position for a prolonged period.

Top Bottom