Gear sets....will I notice a diffrerence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Hi, in my tentative search for my first road bike I have seen various bikes with various gears and there is obviously a lot of choice but with a lot of price differences?

For example, it seems that Shimano 'Claris' is the most basic, and 'Sora' is also fairly low down compared to say the 105 set? Then there is Tiagra although I think Ultegra is above that? All very confusing for a beginner.

So would I really, as a beginner, notice any difference between a bike equipped with a Sora set as opposed to a bike equipped with a 105 set? Or between a Tiagra or Ultegra or 105 vs Ultegra etc.....

Would I notice a smoother or faster/slicker gear change or not?
Should I not get hung up on this or should I aim for a particular set up as a minimum requirement and why?

Joffey

Big Dosser
A beginner would maybe bot know but the differences are night and day from Claris to 105.

My advice would be to buy the best you can afford. Tiagra is very good, 105 and Ultegra are both excellent.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The more you spend the 'nicer' the parts are. They tend to be a bit slicker. Claris is a step up from the usual stuff fitted to bikes. Also bear in mind consumables, like chain rings. These can be very pricey on higher end groupsets.

Road
Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra and then Dura Ace.

MTB
Deore, Deore SLX, Deore XT, Deore XTR. Ignore things like Saint as that's just a few components and for Downhill etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
SRAM Rival ftw ;)
(I really don't like Shimano brifters with the wobbly brake lever and oversized hoods)

What's your budget, new vs. used? What else are you looking for in the bike...racy, more endurance/relaxed, need for mudguards and rack, frameset material hankering etc...the groupset is probably among the last things to consider depending on budget.

Have you actually ridden any modern roadbikes?

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The only meaningful difference between the different levels of gear sets is the weight and thus the price. But the weight differences are tiny and irrelevant to most

Just get whatever fits your budget, it'll be fine

FWIW, I have two bikes which are fitted with different levels of gear sets. I can't tell them apart despite the fancier one costing twice that of the other

Low end Shimano is surprisingly good but if you go midrange you get better durability. The top end is really about low weight and highest number if cogs which make little difference to most riders.
I use Tiagra shifters on my touring bike and they are plenty good enough.
Claris was 8 speed last time I checked. 8 spd is my fav for affordability and maintenance.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
don't get too hung up on it, they all change gear well from Claris upwards.

As a beginner the range of the gearing is possibly as, if not more important than groupset, especially if you are in a hilly area.
good advice

above Tiagra it just get more expensive to replace worn cassettes etc and 11sp plus is more sensitive to set up the rear mech etc.

Better off spending some money putting decent tyres on the bike (and arguably wheels too)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
don't get too hung up on it, they all change gear well from Claris upwards.

good advice

above Tiagra it just get more expensive to replace worn cassettes etc and 11sp plus is more sensitive to set up the rear mech etc.

Better off spending some money putting decent tyres on the bike (and arguably wheels too)
100% agree with this. If you want to cycle faster, making sure you have optimal tyres is by far the easiest and cheapest way

Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests

So would I really, as a beginner, notice any difference between a bike equipped with a Sora set as opposed to a bike equipped with a 105 set? Or between a Tiagra or Ultegra or 105 vs Ultegra etc.....

My first road bike was equipped with Shimano Sora. As a beginner, I thought Sora was good and it felt good but mainly though because that's all I knew and had nothing to compare it against.

After 18 months I got a new bike with Shimano 105 and it felt 100 times better. Then, after riding my new bike for a couple of months I went back to riding my bike with Sora and my first thought was "how the hell did I ever manage to ride this piece of junk?"

So yes, the difference between Sora and 105 is HUGE but a beginner won't notice/care.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Will you notice a difference? Almost certainly not as you've got nothing to compare it with if you're starting out. Suffice to say even the lower end Shimano stuff is good these days and you'll get clean quick changes if you keep everything well adjusted.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My first road bike was equipped with Shimano Sora. As a beginner, I thought Sora was good and it felt good but mainly though because that's all I knew and had nothing to compare it against.

After 18 months I got a new bike with Shimano 105 and it felt 100 times better. Then, after riding my new bike for a couple of months I went back to riding my bike with Sora and my first thought was "how the hell did I ever manage to ride this piece of junk?"

So yes, the difference between Sora and 105 is HUGE but a beginner won't notice/care.
bollox. or if so that is not down to just Sora vs 105 that is probably down to the rest of the bike or lack of maintenance

The entire range from claris onwards have dramatically improved over the past models. Go to any LBS and try out the new Claris and the gear change. Even the older models if well maintained are good. The difference between models are now incremental and weight and material are the clear separating factors.

Anyway, the models do indicate the quality of the new bike you are buying. Mid range carbon bikes come with 105. ( some call it the start of the performance range for bikes).

If you new to road bikes, use the 105 as a guide to compare Apples to Apples (or close to it). Manufacturers are also using the same to price in the same bracket.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom