Gear shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jase25

Consider gearing rationale (see the gearcalculator link I shared).
This comment has taken a little while so crossed with Tomo's above, with which I agree: the LBS should have got this right (and should be embarrassed if it is in fact not right (but see next sentence).
Your Centaur Ergo lever should have 3 clicks so I assume you are 'swiping' it right across all 3, but not getting the shift up you should expect.
If you don't know what 'trim' is (wrt a FD), find out.
Having said that not being able to shift to the large ring is NOT normal: click the LH ergo lever across and the chain should climb with assurance onto the large ring.
Maybe a quarter turn unscrew of the FD upper limit screw will make a difference, but as Pete says, this is difficult at a distance.
Losing the chain inside (ie onto the BB shell) after a failed shift is always possible. The mitigation is to screw in the lower limit screw a tad which limits the chain freedom to err inwards (but see (2) below.
Four tests to quantify the accuracy of the FD adjustment:
1) Cage parallel with the chainrings and, when shifted to large ring chainline, 1.5 to 3mm above the large ring's teeth. Easiest to get right without the chain there.
2) In small ring/largest: max 0.5mm between the chain and the FD cage (adjustment is 'L' limit screw - Campagnolo = 'B' "inner end")
3) In large ring/smallest: max 0.5mm between the chain and the FD cage (adjustment is 'T' limit screw - - Campagnolo = 'C' "end stroke")
4) In small ring/smallest: 8-15mm between the return section of the chain and chain around the (tension (lower) pulley/jockey wheel (Campagnolo standard).
User Manual (English at p35): https://www.campagnolo.com/media/fi...front_derailleur_Campagnolo_Rev00_02_2017.pdf
Technical Manual (last few pages most relevant):
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/035_207_Technical manual - front derailleur for dual mechanical units - Campagnolo_Rev04_08_17.pdf

Made an adjustment with the FD barrel adjuster after reading the campagnolo manual. Its picking up the large chainwheel from all the gears apart from the large sprocket which i dont suppose i would ever attempt anyway,

Thanks for all your help with that and its saved me a trip back to bike shop in the morning

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Made an adjustment with the FD barrel adjuster after reading the campagnolo manual. Its picking up the large chainwheel from all the gears apart from the large sprocket which i dont suppose i would ever attempt anyway,

Thanks for all your help with that and its saved me a trip back to bike shop in the morning
As with all gearing adjustments, a quarter or a half turn at most then see what the outcome is. It makes it a lot easier to go back if it makes it worse.:okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
Is the bike fitted with a compact chainset ? Ie 50/34 or 50/36 ?
I used to find it annoyingly necessary to cross chain trying to find a cadence that was right for me, the big gap between the two isn't ideal in some circumstances.
I replaced my 34 with a 40 , made it a different bike altogether for me. You could go 36, 38 or 39, it all depends on whether you need the 34 for local terrain.
The other slight negative is you might have to consider fitting an aftermarket inner ring, the aesthetics wont be as good.
Ultimately, doing the above stopped me cross chaining, it gave me more useable ratios.

Sharky

Guru
I replaced my 34 with a 40
I had exactly the same issue with cross chaining, particularly in the dark when I was commuting. My solution was get rid of both rings and replace with 40t N/W ring and the chain shortened by a link or two.
Now one simple click to go up/down.

Reactions: gbb
Think this is the OP's new bike, just acquired. All they wanted was just to get the gears sorted, which it seems they more of less have.
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/bianchi/intenso-campagnolo-centaur-2020-road-bike-934172
https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/502/products/bianchi-intenso-centaur--2019-road-bike.aspx

I didn't appreciate it was new.

With new bikes the Shop should ask you to return it for a "service" after a suitable time - say 6 weeks. They will check for cable stretch, wheel truing and free running hubs plus making sure everything is still nicely tightened up. If you didn't get this done it's no biggie but please be aware that New bikes sometimes and unavoidably need a small fettle.

Top Bottom