Gear Slip Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Canal_Master

Hi,

I am riding a 2010 Gary Fisher Piranha.

I have done (according to my cycle computer anyway) just 60.8 miles on this bike.

When I have my chain set to the smallest cog, (on my rear wheel, not the pedal gears) it has a tendency to slip like it is trying to change gear even though it is set correctly. :tongue:

This happens mainly when I am stood up on the bike, but does occasionly happen whilst seated.

Does anyone know what is causing this and what I can do about it?

Thanks! :becool:

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Debian

Sounds like the stop limit screw may be set incorrectly on the derailleur. Do a full setup as per the bicycletutor video and that should set it to rights.

Debian

Sheffield_Tiger said:
If it's 2010 and 60 miles old, I would say take it back to the shop to sort out. Which should be free of charge.

That's an option, but OP is, at some point going to have to maintain the gears so if it were me I'd have a go myself anyway.

Also IMHO depends how far away the LBS is and how much time it's going to cost to get there, leave the bike maybe and then return later to collect it. It could have been mail order as well.

If DIY doesn't sort it (after all it's only a five minute job) then nothing lost really, OP can still take it back to the shop.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It sounds like they need indexing, which is quite simple to do, and even simpler to make a mess of.#
Have a quick look at the Park Tools site as there is a really easy to understand 'how to' on there.

alternatively it could be the chain is too long, rear mech/hanger is bent, stiff links, hooked teeth on the cassette and many other things!!

grimpeur

Veteran
Which chainring(at the front) are you using when you are using the smallest rear sprocket?
If you are using the small front chainring with the small rear sprocket then you are making the mistake known as 'cross chaining'- this deflects the chain at an extreme angle.
You are not meant to use the bike in this gear combination.
It may cause the problems you have mentioned and will wear out your transmission prematurely.
If the problem is apparent when using the correct chainring/sprocket combinations then it will be your rear derailleur high gear limit screw or the rear derailleur indexing(adjust cable tension) at fault as already stated.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Sounds like a bit of cable stretch - I had the same thing recently - take it back to the LBS and they'll fix it for you in 5mins.

Top Bottom