gearing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djrowey77

Hi all new to this. I need a bit of advice. I have a carrera axle ltd 15. 21 gears. Unfortunately my wheels were stolen. I have managed to find new 1's on ebay. But now wondering if I can change the 7 gear rear wheel. To an 8 or 9 gear. So I can make it a 24 or 27 gear bike. Will the 8/9 gear wheel fit

As a minimum you would also need to change the shifters. Possibly the derailuer and believe it or not, possibly also the chain.

If it was originally 7 speed, chances are it was a 'freewheel', ie the 7 cogs at the back were part of a single sprocket assembly. 8 speed up is generally (but not always) a cassette on a 'freehub'. This would be irrelevant to most, except that it seems modern dérailleurs are designed for one or the other, shifters are indexed to the gap width between cogs, and chains are also made to fit the exact width, so unfortunately upgrade is probably not as straight forward as it might sound.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Axle is a decent bike for the money, but a new one is under £200.

Changing to eight or nine speed might get you a tiny bit more gear range, which you may not need.

Freehubs are generally more reliable and robust than freewheels, which could be an advantage if you plan on keeping the bike and using it regularly.

But the new bits could come close to the price of a new bike.

Up to you how much you think it's worth spending on your existing bike.

Alternatively, there's a £99 hybrid on Halford's website which you could buy, use the wheels, and keep the rest for spares.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes

OP
OP
D

djrowey77

Thank you anf.
I had an idea that I would have to upgrade shifter. But I thought I could get away with making adjustments on rear derailleur. But I honestly did not realise I would have to get new chain. As I said in my post I found replacement wheels on ebay. Named quando for both fr+re wheel available 7-8-9 speed for 58 pound and the hubs are disc ready. But only issue my bike is not disc compatible. So issue is rear wheel spacing if I can upgrade gearing. As I have not found wheels any cheaper brand new. And thanks again for advice

OP
OP
D

djrowey77

Hi pale rider
The bike I got as part payment for doing some. Mot repair work on a friends car. I did have to replace 1 of the shifters as it was broken oh and a new tyre but apart from that and a few. Minor scratches. Is a pretty good solid bike. It's only costing me now thanks to sum scumbag nicking my wheels. So now I can get 2 brand new. Wheels for 58 pound but now. I also have to get new tyres and inner tubes. So yes could be able to get 99 pound hybrid but all in its still a good bike. Just need to make sure I buy extra locks as well. Thanks for info

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Agree with both of the comments above. Really not worth spending just to get a couple more gears on the cassette. You could change the gearing with a different cassette if you wished but I see little point. Give the Axle more of a run and then see if you might want to change it for a road bike or another hybrid with more gears and a better spec.

The derailleur is dumb iron, it almost certainly won’t need changing, unless you’re going for an extreme range cassette.You will need to change to shifters with more clicks though. If the freehub you have can take a 7 speed cassette ( I’m guessing a 7 speed cassette and a triple up front ) then an 8 or 9 speed cassette should also fit.

OP
OP
D

djrowey77

Hi guys thanks for info. Yeah decided. To just stick to 7speed new wheels. As commen were right. Don't really use all the 21 gears it's already got so it's just a case of. New. Wheels. And tyres. A maybe in future upgrade shifters and breaks. And invest in some new locks. And can anyone recommend any decent puncture resistant tyres. And a good set of decent bright lights for early hours commute to work thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are you in the north west? You'll get wheels cheap although maybe not matching from The Brick works project in Wigan, ask for Simon.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi guys thanks for info. Yeah decided. To just stick to 7speed new wheels. As commen were right. Don't really use all the 21 gears it's already got so it's just a case of. New. Wheels. And tyres. A maybe in future upgrade shifters and breaks. And invest in some new locks. And can anyone recommend any decent puncture resistant tyres. And a good set of decent bright lights for early hours commute to work thanks

Schwalbe Marathon Plus is the most puncture resistant tyre widely available.

Some roadies find them harsh, but a pair would be just the job on your hybrid bike.

Worth buying branded lights, the electrics on cheap Chinese ebay lights are often dodgy.

I like Lezyne, but there are others.

The large retailers usually have offers on front and back pairs.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne/lights-and-reflectors/

Ajax Bay

Guru
a carrera axle ltd 15. 21 gears.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...imited-edition-mens-hybrid-bike-18-20-frames#
I found replacement wheels on ebay. Named quando for both fr+re wheel available 7-8-9 speed for 58 pound and the hubs are disc ready.
The OP is probably better off getting a 'normal' rear wheel with a 7 speed freewheel which is not 'disc ready'.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html
If it was originally 7 speed, chances are it was a 'freewheel',
OP should note they may need rim tape (as well as tyres and tubes).

Top Bottom