Gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Recently changed my rear cog to a 15 from 16, front still 42, ;) man my legs hurt just with that small difference. It may of course be due to lack of quality riding miles on my part this year :laugh: However I`m in the mood now!

stevevw

Guru
I changed mine yesterday from 48-18 to 48-16 bit of a shock on the up slopes round here but so much better on the flat and down slopes.
Another bonus with the higher gearing is it is easier to draft the white vans round here without feeling my legs are about to fall off. Down side is entering corners that I ride every day much faster than normal and nearly clipped the curb a few times.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
stevevw said:
I changed mine yesterday from 48-18 to 48-16 bit of a shock on the up slopes round here but so much better on the flat and down slopes.
Another bonus with the higher gearing is it is easier to draft the white vans round here without feeling my legs are about to fall off. Down side is entering corners that I ride every day much faster than normal and nearly clipped the curb a few times.

I still cannot make my mind up if I prefer 48 x 16 or 48 x 18. I am toying with getting a 17, any excuse to get something else from this lot :rofl:

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/shoptrack.html

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Hmm I ride, 48:15, it was the factory gearing! I rode it because I couldnt be bothered to change it, now its easy going. Couldnt imagine running an easier gear now, I'd be spinning like a madman.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Rob3rt said:
Hmm I ride, 48:15, it was the factory gearing! I rode it because I couldnt be bothered to change it, now its easy going. Couldnt imagine running an easier gear now, I'd be spinning like a madman.

not a chance I will go to 48 on front !! Too many hills round here for a 15stone chap.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
48:16 ex-factory which with 700c wheels equates to 79"

It nearly killed me at first but my muscles are slowly getting used to the HTFU process on my commute. If someone wasn't used to cycling and bought a bike with that gearing I dare say they would remain unused to cycling for a long time to come.

Play times on weekend club runs on unfamiliar roads (read: unfamiliar hills) mixing it with the 27 and 30 speeds I've got an 18t to put on. Last weekend inb 16t I had to get off and push.:bravo: Old hands around here say 68" is ideal for Sussex.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm on 52 x 20 now if I ride "proper" fixed, mainly because a 52T chainring works best with the 15T and 16T sprockets available for the S3X hub. 52 x 15 looks pretty hardcore with the S3X, but top gear is direct drive.

Top Bottom