Gears not changing properly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
I've noticed on my last couple of rides that my gears are not changing properly. It seems to be the middle ones. I change up or down but I stay in the same gear until I go up or down another gear then it'll go up or down by 2 gears.

I've cleaned the cassette and chain incase they were gritty but the gears are still not changing.

What has happened to the gears?

smithy92

Hi city babe.

How long have the cables been in use for? As it could be numerous things. The cables may have stretched and need adjusting or the friction between the cable and the housing may have increased, either due to rust or wear.

smithy92

Then it definitely shouldnt be rust/wear on the housings. Maybe just an indexing adjustment is required, although I would have expected the initial stretching of the cable to have occured long before 500 miles.
If you fancy having a go yourself there is usually a barrel adjuster at either the rear deraileur end or the shifter end (or both), turn counter-clockwise to add tension to the cable or clockwise to lower the tension.

Failing that get it to an LBS and they should do the adjustment for next to nothing.

Hope this helps!

smithy92

If he can do it on the spot then ask him to show you, a decent LBS normally wont mind doing this, and that way you will know how to do it in future if you ever need to.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The cable outer has worn where it curves around to the real derailleur and needs changing. You won't believe what a difference it makes to the shifting. Get the LBS to cut you some lengths of cable and show you how to replace the outer then re-adjust the derailleur, it's an easy job and every cyclist ought to be able to do it every six months.

Top Bottom