Gears slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I had a full service on my bike over the festive period resulting in the following replacements: rear casette, chain, gear cables, front left quick shifter. Other sundries included brake pads and brake cables.

I ride a 2011 hybrid Dawes X02, 24 gear model with quick shifters.

My problem is that on my rear cassette when i shift down to the lowest gear (i.e. easiest ratio to pedal) the gear won't stick to the lowest gear and jumps back up. If i hold my shifter down it stays, but otherwise slips between the two. Very annoying when pulling away from traffic lights.

Anyone got an idea on how to quickly solve this? I've most of the relevant tools at work so should be able to tweak things before i go home.

musa

Über Member
Give the barrel adjuster a quarter turn

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Barrel adjuster and check the limit screws (the two screws on either the rear edge of the mech body) as it sounds like the mech isn't being allowed to move over enough. Be careful, as letting it move too far can shove it into the spokes.

gwhite

Über Member
I agree with this ^^^^^^^^. I would reckon that the Lower limit screw is just a little too tight and would need a small anti-clockwise turn to allow it to remain on the largest sprocket.

Top Bottom