Gel bar tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
Can I wrap some gel handlebar tape around just my hardish rubber grips on my straightish handlebars? or will it just become a gel mess?

Thanks

longers

Legendary Member
I put bar tape on flat bars but removed the original grips first.
Twas very comfy as I could get a triple thickness quite easily with the length supplied.

tyred

Legendary Member
I would agree with bar tape on flat bars. I've done this and it is much more comfortable than any rubber grips. Remove them first though.

Do you feel your hands painful as if you are putting too much weight on them? It may be worthwhile to raise the bars by about 1/2" to see if you notice any improvements.

If your bars are genuinely straight MTB types, you will probably find they give you sore hands regardless. Add some bar ends for improved position or change to a different style of bar.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
My bars are the later threadless so I can`t lift them, I`ve got a stem extender on order and I`ve ordered some Gel tape.

My back muscles are suspect so that probably isn`t helping. I`ll let you know how it works out. I think the extender has about 3" of lift but it is adjustable to a less amount with the shims.

I had a feeling that something was up because after I adjusted the seat height for optimum leg stretch it felt a lot more comfortable on my behind which tells me that the weight has gone onto my wrists. Hopefully the extender will balance the weight.

Top Bottom