Gel Cover...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonR

Hi again all,

I'm just about to re-cover my '80's Royal GT saddle - I've bought the adhesive and also the suede in the same colour / quality as the original (it's even Italian!).

Although the saddle was adequately comfortable when I last used it in earnest (about 8 years ago) I'm thinking I could make it even better by fitting a gel layer between the saddle and suede.

I've got a gel cover that I'm using on my current bike and wondered if anyone's got any experience with cutting or re-forming the gel. I'm hoping that I can just mark it out, cut it, and then glue it to the saddle before fitting the suede - do you reckon it'll just fall apart though?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Padded gel saddle have a reputation for being painful on longer rides, probably not a good idea...

nuovo_record

never known of anyone gluing a cover on.
have recently chagned to an old "milremo" leather saddle with padded shorts, works a treat for me.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I haven't had a look at the gel inside a saddle, but for handlebars and shooters' gloves there are two types.

There is the type which is just a lump of gel, with no cover or casing. You can cut this to whatever shape you like.

Then there is the type which is actually a very viscous liquid contained in a plastic sheath, heat-sealed at the edges.. If you cut this, the gel will leak out.

OP
OP
S

SimonR

Thanks for those replies, gents.

I've had a bit of a think about it and come to the conclusion that I'll re-cover the saddle with suede without adding the gel and then wear padded shorts if needed. It was a very comfortable saddle before so if it ain't broke....

I'll probably do this over the weekend so Ill post a pic if it's anything to be proud of ;-) I've never covered a complicated shape like a saddle before and never worked with suede before - but surely it can't be any more difficult than re-covering an XJ-S headlining - you haven't got to remove any windows for a start!!

OP
OP
S

SimonR

Here's how it turned out:

I'm quite pleased with it!

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

Top Bottom