How to disassemble the ball bearing cover from the pedal for cleaning and lubricating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave125

Hi.
I am trying to disassemble a second hand pedal to clean it and lubricate the balls bearing.
I manage to the disassemble the nut and the washer,but i can't manage to disassemble
the last third part which covers the balls bearing.It doesn't have any slot or space that
i be able to turn it with a screwdriver,pin tool etc,
I attached 2 photos(links)of the pedal,may someone advice how to turn it out?
At the first photo you may see that the nut and the washer is out.
At the second photo I can't see any way to remove it.No slot,no space to use a tool.
Thanks.

the pedal (2).jpg

the pedal (1).jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
It may be pressed In, never meant to be removed, serviced.
Does the axle come out, are the bearings in a cage or just loose. If they're caged, perhaps you could blast it all out with WD or similar, get some grease in through that hole and put plenty of grease on the axle, that'd be enough to see it work far better for the foreseeable. If they're loose balls, well.....

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Not really sure what's going on here, but can't you get a socket onto the nut inside the pedal shown in the second image?

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 1258

..is the cone. I can see the hexagon on it in your second photo.

It looks like you'd hold the spindle with a spanner on the other side then a thin box spanner to undo the cone.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
D

dave125

I had noticed the hexagon on it,but there was no space around to insert a standard socket.
I need to find a thin box spanner and give it a try,as you adviced.
I tried a needle nosed pliers and i use a lot of force with a screw driver,but
it didn't move.Maybe it really pressed in with no option for service,as gbb mentioned.
I don't know if the bearing in cage or loose,as i never opened it before,but
i will give a try to the thin box spanner hopefully it will be able to grab it.
Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom