General e bike maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Higher speeds???
Generally I would say yes
but only on the basis that if I was on a normal bike I would go slower than I would on my ebike

especially if I am going to the shops on a cold day and just put the thing into a higher assist level

clearly an old fat bloke on a UK legal ebike doesn;t go as fats as a lycra clad racing snake on a 'proper' road bike

as far as brakes are concerned - I don;t think the extra weight is a major issue
Yup - it weighs a lot more that Simon Yate's favourite bike for going up Alp D'Huez - but my own weight more than compensates for that
so as long as the brakes are reasonable they should be OK

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Generally I would say yes
but only on the basis that if I was on a normal bike I would go slower than I would on my ebike

especially if I am going to the shops on a cold day and just put the thing into a higher assist level

clearly an old fat bloke on a UK legal ebike doesn;t go as fats as a lycra clad racing snake on a 'proper' road bike

as far as brakes are concerned - I don;t think the extra weight is a major issue
Yup - it weighs a lot more that Simon Yate's favourite bike for going up Alp D'Huez - but my own weight more than compensates for that
so as long as the brakes are reasonable they should be OK
i go slower on my ebike to stay within the cut-off and make sure im getting full use of the motor ( unless going downhill of course)

im not sure speeds are higher and it would be hard to calculate if they were. Maybe average speed over a ride maybe higher, cause hill climbing is easier.

i think theres to many outside influences to judge speed, but people assume cause its an ebike there must be ( based on all the illegal ones they have seen out on the roads)...im yet to see an illegal one to be honest. All mates ebikes are all legal

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I thought a little spanner came up in the bottom corner when it was ready to be serviced???

Not as far as I know, and I've been using Bosch bikes for 10 years or so.

With the extra weight (and higher speeds), I'd also be inclined pay some a little more attention to brake wear then I might for a non-eBike.

Me and my ebike will pick up some momentum on a long decent which might require firmer braking than on a lightweight push bike.

I've done some fairly long descents in the Yorkshire Dales without any problems.

Pad wear must be a little bit higher, but not so as I've noticed.

jowwy

Not as far as I know, and I've been using Bosch bikes for 10 years or so.
new motors and computers???.....ive just seen Purion computers with a spanner on the display and i have the purion displays on both mine

1638887507491.png

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bosch-purion-spanner-icon.262279/

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Mention of an 'optional service interval display' in this link.

Maybe it's something that has to be set in the menus somewhere, but I've never come across it.

It appears to be no more than an elapsed time indicator.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/products/intuvia/

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How do eMTB's handle almost total submersion ? My pedal MTB required a strip down of the hubs and BB to double check everything after it was properly drowned on an MTB ride. I assume if you do this, you'll need to pop the covers off the motor and dry it out ?

jowwy

How do eMTB's handle almost total submersion ? My pedal MTB required a strip down of the hubs and BB to double check everything after it was properly drowned on an MTB ride. I assume if you do this, you'll need to pop the covers off the motor and dry it out ?
Never submerged it, so not really sure

Never submerged it, so not really sure
Probably not a good idea to try!!!

I do wonder at times because I often ride along tow paths and sometimes mud, stones, associated hazards (including dogs and idiots) sometimes make me feel it is only a matter of time
I presume the rules are as for laptops - get the battery off first then dry it out and pray:angel:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Bosch describe their motors as 'splash proof'.

I've ridden mine quite a lot in heavy rain with no problem.

Submerging is not to be recommended, but I did more or less submerge mine in a ford in North Yorkshire which was deeper than expected.

No adverse impact, although I was travelling light on a mini tour and it took the next day to dry the only pair of shoes I had.

Top Bottom