General Question About How Much Water To Drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two simple methods:

1. Time how much time you spend urinating on a couple of normal days. THen if you are peeing less, drink more

2. Look at the colour of your urine. If it is a light straw colour then you are fine, if it is amber then drink more, and of a dark amber then you are becoming dehydrated

Tin Pot

Guru

Drink before your thirsty if you leave it until you are thirsty you have left it too late, and it makes no difference if its winter or summer you still have to drink as much its just in the winter you don't seem to be as thirsty

Tin Pot

Guru
Drink before your thirsty if you leave it until you are thirsty you have left it too late, and it makes no difference if its winter or summer you still have to drink as much its just in the winter you don't seem to be as thirsty
This is not true.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
This is not true.
Agreed. If you're engaged in exercise that makes you sweat and then you stop sweating, then you've left it too late and have become dehydrated. Even then, it's hardly a disaster, but just means you need to drink some water (or, depending on your level of exercising, an electrolyte solution of some kind).

One of the links provides a colour chart that supports my theory, but I think that is a little too far on a day out

byegad

Legendary Member
I get through a standard bidon in anything from 10-30 miles depending on ambient temperature, how hard I'm working and how much clothing I'm wearing. I sip regularly and it works for me. Others seem to be more camel than human and rarely drink on the move.

This is true and you are wrong, stop giving bad advise

I expect you actually meant, 'I disagree with your opinion but am happy for you have it and it is for the individuals including the OP to read the excellent data and opinions in this thread and make their own mind up'

I get through a standard bidon in anything from 10-30 miles depending on ambient temperature, how hard I'm working and how much clothing I'm wearing. I sip regularly and it works for me. Others seem to be more camel than human and rarely drink on the move.
How right you are, we'll said

Leodis

Veteran
I don't like drinking on the move and so on my winter commute of 8-9 miles I will sip to clear my mouth but intake about 2 litres a day at work.

Chris1983

There is a small amount of truth in this, albeit very small and it could have been worded differently IMO.

But basically yes when you feel the need to drink (thirsty) then that it is your body telling you that you need to hydrate as there is a water imbalance (technically this is the start of dehydration)...but in a normal fit person this is a pretty sensitive response and a water imbalance of just 1 or 2% is enough to trigger sense of thirst...so its definitely not too late at this point...its about the right to take a drink IMO

As for the winter vs summer comment...yes again correct if you work your arse off in a winter training and are wearing clothing to keep the wind out etc compared to wearing shorts and t-shirt in the summer chances are the amount you sweat will be the same...more maybe if you are wrapped in a bin bag to keep the rain off in winter and your sweat can't evaporate...the time of the year really has no bearing, it's down to how much fluid you lose when training...the more you lose the more you need to replace...

All this fuss is all thanks to some very clever brain washing and marketing hype...as with everything there is always grains of truth but there really is no need to over think this...its a simple progress, drink when you feel thirsty and eat when you feel hungry. Maintain a good well balanced diet and you will be fine...Everyone should just get out on their bikes and enjoy the pleasures of cycling and not be hung up on when to drink...our ancestors didn't die every time they chased a meal in the baking sun and they had no one telling them how and when to refuel...yet they thought the world was flat :scratch:

Top Bottom