General Tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

Anyone got any tips for me for my race on sunday?

Just wanna know how to go faster and how stuff.

Also if there are steep hills should I attack them or just get off at the bottom and run up them?

Steve

I recommend you arrive wearing a Mohican and war paint wearing only a skin leotard and carrying an axe. Lop off the head of the bloke nearest and I guarantee no one will go past you on the course.

gratts

Pedal really fast in your highest gear.

And if you get to any really steep hills..get off and walk down. We wouldn't want you falling off! ;)

jpembroke

1) Arrive early so you can get at least 2 practice laps in.
2) Don't speed up too much when someone is in your sights - you'll pay dear.
3) Same goes for if someone overtakes you - they may well have spent too much energy and you can take them later. Don't repeat their mistakes.
4) Try to keep riding if you can - too much running will deaden your legs and clog your cleats.
5) Think about tyre pressure - if it's muddy let a bit out.
6) Get your clothing right - best to start off a bit chilly than cook halfway through.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

OH i should mention - I am currently not using clipless - just some platforms with toe clips (no straps) and normal trainers - I could do with some studded shoes/more grippy shoes but I can't afford it at the moment.

Steve

gratts

In all seriousness, do you know the route? If so have you had a look on Google maps for any short cuts?
Is there anything to stop you cheating getting lost?

Dave5N

Über Member
The course on Sunday will be very hard work if it stays wet. You might want to swap your trainers for football boots if you have some. ;)

What size feet do you have?

If you get lapped on the grass playing field, as they go past you speed up and try to stay with them for as long as you can, particularly if it is into the wind.

Otherwise, remember the numbers of the two or three riders immediately above you in the last few riders, and don't let them go. They are the ones you need to aim to beat. Make sure the ones that you have beaten don't get past and away.

Who is coaching you at Redditch R&P?

jpembroke

Another tip: get a good position at the start. Starts are mad and you will need to sprint - often for the first bend/climb/obstacle/singletrack - to get a good position.

Looks like I'm going to have to give our race on Sunday a miss - not feeling too well at the moment. Real shame as I wanted to have another go at the Bristol circuit. I screwed up the start last time and ended up behind a load of slow riders who I had to pick off one by one. This meant that the guys I usually compete with were half way round the park and i had no chance of catching them up.

;)

Dave5N

Über Member
jpembroke said:
Another tip: get a good position at the start. Starts are mad and you will need to sprint - often for the first bend/climb/obstacle/singletrack - to get a good position.

Looks like I'm going to have to give our race on Sunday a miss - not feeling too well at the moment. Real shame as I wanted to have another go at the Bristol circuit. I screwed up the start last time and ended up behind a load of slow riders who I had to pick off one by one. This meant that the guys I usually compete with were half way round the park and i had no chance of catching them up.

;)

As a general rule this is good advice. However, thinking about how you want to improve, don't blow it all at the start. The field will string out soon enough anyway. Keep an eye out for the riders you are targeting and don't let them get away. Don't bother about the Grivell-Mellors, Papworths, James's etc. You won't stay near them any way for more than a few hundred metres at best.

If you can, attack through the technical bits. Always helps slower riders.

Set your goals and stick to them.

OP
OP
Young Un

Young Un

Dave I have size 9/10 feet - my road shoes are 44 in euro money

And I haven't really had any specific cross ttraining at redditch - we did one session way back in jully I think which was just about mouting and dismounting up and down hills - oh and also riding over a ladder, but unfortunately it didnt really teach we much as I wasnt able to do it at race pace due to all the little kids I would catch up.

Steve

Top Bottom