Genesis Altitude, Update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

For those that might be interested. I finally got to try a Genesis Altitude 00 today. That's the entry Altitude with a Reynolds 520 steel frame, rather than the more exotic metals of the higher models, Shimano Deore everything and Rockshox Tora fork.

I'm buying one. The bike feels bang on as soon as you get on it. It's a few pounds heavier than a good aluminium bike at that price point but on the move it's not a show stopper. The geometry is relaxed without being dead and the steel frame makes the bike very comfy.

Straight after trying the Altitude I went around the corner to another shop and tried a Specialized Rockhopper. I didn't expect a dramatic difference but there was, it was night and day. The ride of the Rockhopper is jarring by comparison, tooth-rattlingly unpleasant, and the steering turn-in is far too fast. If you were in a race, the Rockhopper would win but you wouldn't enjoy it much.

I'll let you know when I get the bike and how it goes but at least I've finally made my mind up :0)
gn_altitude_00.jpg

ratty2k

At last!:biggrin:

Glad you chose what feels best! Get great write ups, spec list is pretty good and steel as well.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I picked it up yesterday. I've not beenb out on it yet as there was oil on the disks. Very tidy bike though, well put together. Looking forward to seeing how it feels out and about :0)

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

List price is £570 but I paid £540 with a £20 pair of pedals thrown in. Good spec for the money and cheaper than the Genesis Core 20, which has exactly the same parts on an aluminium frame for £600.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Sure, will do. I've not ridden it yet, other than around the back garden, as I discovered oil on the brake rotors when I got it home! I asked the shop for new pads as I could sort it out my self but they'd rather I took it back for them to check out, which I'll not be able to do 'till the weekend.

There arn't any leeks in the system, I think it's just been spilled when the brakes were set up.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I closely checked the bike over in the shop, including spinning the wheels to check the rims and brake disks were true. Just didn't think to check the disks for oil, well you wouldn't would you?

MichaelM

Guru
Mr Pig said:
I've not ridden it yet, other than around the back garden, as I discovered oil on the brake rotors when I got it home!

When you say oil on the disc rotors, did you really mean too many gears on the frame!

Nice bike, I'm sure you'll enjoy it (even if your shifting fingers do get tired). ;)

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

MichaelM said:
When you say oil on the disc rotors, did you really mean too many gears on the frame!

I totaly agree. I don't want 27 gears, 24 was fine. That's just what all the bikes have now. It's a willy waving thing as far as I'm concerened, like these big heavy 100mm travel forks, how many people need that?

ratty2k

Err, well me for a start, going right thro' the 130mm I've got at the minute, new bike will have 160mm....

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

The only reason the Tora fork on my new bike would bottom out is because it's too darn soft to begin with! Half of the travel disappears as soon as you sit on it. Thinking of changing the fork actually.

And you must admit, most people won't need 100mm of travel. This is cross country bike, it's not designed for big hits.

ratty2k

Depends, I only ride cross country really. Most riding has been done up in the dark Peaks around Mancs/ Sheffiled. Once you get the confidence up, you start doing more or faster stuff... But 100mm will do for a lot of people granted.
Jacobs ladder or the beast in the Peaks get VERY entertaining on a 100 mm hardtail!;)

Edit: I'd stick with the Tora, while its a little heavy, it is quite a good fork. You wouldn't notice much in perfomance gain if you went for say a Reba. Mates got A Tora on his bike, is there not a preload adjuster on the fork? If not a change to a slightly heavier guage spring would do it. (Re too much sag- Dependent on how you want your fork- plush or firm 25-30mm of sag is where I'd start)

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

The Tora fitted to the Altitude 00 is the plain vanilla one which only has preload and rebound adjusters on it. I'm thinking about selling it and buying either the next one up, with the lockout, or the air-spring version which is a lot more tunable. I'd like a lockout but I'm not sure about the air-sping as looking at the revues that fork seems less than totally reliable.

There's not much choice at the bottom end of the fork market and the Tora does look like the best lockable fork for that kind of money. The other cheap forks that lock don't have the Rockshox blow-off feature which unlocks the fork if it hits a big bump, which is a really good idea.

Top Bottom