Genesis CDF Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

Well, tried fitting a new pair of 45mm SKS Chromoplasic Guards to my new CDF - front supports would not fit round the disc brake without popping out the quick releases. They are now on their way back to Wiggle.

Anyone have any other options.

Regards
K

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well, tried fitting a new pair of 45mm SKS Chromoplasic Guards to my new CDF - front supports would not fit round the disc brake without popping out the quick releases. They are now on their way back to Wiggle.

Anyone have any other options.

Regards
K

Have a look on the Pompetamine and Genesis 01 threads, I would say you've got some options, the one I chose, recommended by ZigZag, was to use rear stays on the front:-

Fit the non disc side as usual, obviously no quick release bit and you could leave it at that. However I fitted another rear stay on the disc side with one arm cut down to about an inch. 3 out of 4 stays on a front mudguard should be plenty.

Another option would be to use a longer bolt and a metal tube, like a really long washer, to put the disc side stays outside the line of the caliper. Others have taken the option to put a very exotic bend into the upper stay on the disc side.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm using the SKS P35, which is similar to yours but tighter, on my Genesis day01 with discs. Below is an image of the front and rear stays and how they have been bent around the disc to fit.

If you can get this to work then great. If not then better luck with a different guard.

Front:
5065252460_66a5b1a322_b.jpg

Rear:
5065253264_76ec18d10e_b.jpg

P.H

Über Member
 What a shame they didn't give it a bit more thought at the design stage.  There's no reason the eyelets have to be at the dropouts, indeed on the front they're better further up so if something gets caught the guard rotates away from the tyre.  Have a look at most Thorn bikes to see how well it works.  Bending stays seems like a temporary solution, they're going to need adjusting every time they get knocked IMO. Neither would I consider not using the clips, been there, done that... regretted it :wacko: If it were my bike I'd mount the front higher up on neat SS P clips and the rear to the rack which I'd be more inclined to bodge than a frame.

Jezston

Über Member
I have similar issues with my disc-equipped Kona Dew Plus. Eyelets for mudguards and rack, but to attach mudguards would be a major ballache and attaching a rack is actually impossible. Nice.

g00se

Veteran
I've got a rack and SKS mudguards on my disc Kona Dew Plus. the disc clearances look similar to that of the CDF.

I used SKS Commuter mudguards which has double-stays set further round from the more vertical ones on the Chromoplastics or the Bluemels. I needed to do a small amount of bending on the disc-side front ones but nothing that a couple of pairs of pliers couldn't achieve.

For the rack, you need a disc specific model and use spacers to pad it out. The rack arrived the weekend but was missing the spacers so I rigged it up with nuts until the parts arrive.

Front:

11102010003.jpg

Rear:

11102010002.jpg

Jezston

Über Member
Hi G00se - I remember you posting your mudguard-equipped dew pics before - didn't realise you COULD get a rack too! I have been told by three separate LBSes that fitting a rack to my bike would be "impossible", or I'd have to use one of those useless seatpost-mounted abominations.

Mind posting a full shot pic of yours with rack on it, and details of the rack. Be nice to confront them over it before telling them I'm going to order one from one of their rivals ;)

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

The rack is a Beto Child Seat Disc Rack. I wouldn't recommend it as it's a bit narrow but I have no option as I need it to carry the same child seat that my wife uses on her bike.

However, just google "disc rack pannier" and there are quite a few different sorts.

Some use built in extenders:

My link My link

Some replace the wheel skewer:

My link

And some - like the Beto, seem to just be wide enough to go over the calliper but need spacers.

My link My link

I've seen before - but can't find now, extended bolts (M5 size by the way) that bolt into the mounting hole and have very long heads that extend out and have M5 threaded holes in the end that you then bolt the rack to.

If I have no luck with the supplier sending the extenders (maybe they'll say 'that's how it comes from the manufacturer'). I'm going to hunt down the latter.

The only worry is that the leg of the rack - on this particular bike - passes right over the widest part of the calliper - so some spacers might still not be wide enough. In this case, a real fettling option - if you look at the previous picture of the rear disc - would be to bolt a flat L-shaped or curved extender onto the two mounting holes (that I've currently bolted the rack and the guard stay to) to provide another mounting hole to the rear that a such a rack might fix to (as the width wouldn't need to be so great).

11102010004.jpg

OP
OP
S

sayek1

Just tried the mudguards again - the rear one went on without an issue. I think I'll try the front one again tomorrow and look for a heath-robinson workaround - can't be bothered to send them back now that the rear one is OK. Thanks for everyones tips etc.

Regards a rack for a disc bike - try the Topeak Super Tourist DX Disc - I had this for my Boardman and will fit it to the CDF next summer when I go on a tour - I've just held it up to the CDF and it fits fine - no worries. It will also negate the need for a rear mudguard in the summer months as it comes with a top plate.

Regards
K

Top Bottom