Genesis Croix de Fer 2011 60cm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Hi all

Finally got round to selling my beloved Croix de Fer.

IMG_20170731_140730.jpg

I can't find the original specs anywhere, but the frame is Reynolds 725, and the fork is also cromoly steel.

I have upgraded the groupset to full 105 (the shifters and chainset it came with were tiagra) including replacing the rear mech at the same time. It has a new saddle, the very comfy Rivet Independence, but I'll chuck in the original saddle as well.
I found the stem to low and long, so it currently has a short riser stem, but I will include the original stem.

Tyres currently fitted are continental gatorskins, but I am happy to include the original continental cross tyres that it came with.
It also has fitted a set of tortec mudguards with the reflective strip down each side.
I think that's it.

I have fitted TRP Hy/Rd hydraulic brakes. In all honestly, when they are working well they are excellent, but I've never been 100% happy with them, see below *.

It has been well used, and probably not as well looked after as I should have. There are places where the paint has come away and there is a bit of rust showing. I did manage to bend the frame once when the chain caught in the rear mech, which needed a trip to a framebuilder to fix.

The usual other scratches and scrapes for a bike of this age. There is a significant area of scratching round the seatpost, where I had a hitch for a tagalong. I think I've got another genesis seatpost which I can include.

Today I have given it a decent, but not exhaustive clean. It won't look pristine!
I have also bled the brakes and put new mineral oil in, and fitted new pads.

* I can't get the bloody things to bite properly. I don't want to tighten the barrel more than a turn, as that can prevent the cylinder from fully returning, so new fluid won't be delivered from the reservoir. Maybe I've set them up wrong, maybe new cables would help, or maybe the levers need a good pump (oo-er) but they definitely need sorting out before you use it in traffic! Caveat emptor on that front.

Price is £250 now £200 ono.
Collect from Epsom, Surrey, or I can meet somewhere within 20 miles, or courier at buyer's cost.

IMG_20170731_140825.jpg IMG_20170731_140817.jpg IMG_20170731_140758.jpg IMG_20170731_140754.jpg IMG_20170731_140745.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Bump for price drop to £200

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A bit zombie, but any takers for this before I pop it on eBay/Gumtree?
I'll happily take £150 for it.

As above, the brakes have never worked as well as they should, but perhaps one of you might have more luck.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am weighing up the trouble I will get in compared to the cost of the bike. Would you still be prepared to box up for delivery?

A few questions, 10 speed? Brakes still knackered? What is the max width tyre size that you can fit under the mudguards?

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I am weighing up the trouble I will get in compared to the cost of the bike. Would you still be prepared to box up for delivery?

A few questions, 10 speed? Brakes still knackered? What is the max width tyre size that you can fit under the mudguards?

Sure I can box up, if you cover the cost of a courier.
I'm going to give the brakes another go, as soon as I've found the post mount adaptors that I took off to temporarily use on something else.

Pretty sure it's 10 speed, but I'll check it when I get home.
From memory 35s will be fine, 38s should just fit, but close. I'll let you know what it's currently got fitted.

No worries if you decide against it, it does need some work/faff.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Here's a photo of the tyre in the mudguard.
I fact it's currently got 28s on, I can't remember why! Plenty of room for bigger.

IMG_20190626_184012.jpg

Top Bottom