Genesis Croix de Fer 2014 v Croix de Fer 10 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haufwit

Regular
My apologies for what my be a tired old question, but here goes anyway.

I currently use a hybrid (Specialized Crosstrail) as a commuting bike for a 20 mile return trip. Like a very slow and dim bolt of lightning I've come to understand that there are some bikes out there somewhat better suited to the roads.

After a number of test rides I've become keen on the Croix de Fer. Now here's my quandary: buy the 2014 version or hold out for the Croix de Fer 10 2015 model? I am a bit of a simpleton as far as the virtues of various bits of bike mechanics are concerned, would anyone care to venture an opinion as to which bike is better?

vickster

Legendary Member
Links please to spec :smile:

OP
OP
H

Haufwit

Regular
Thank you for the assist Ianrauk, but the bike in the link you've supplied isn't the Croix de Fer 2015 10, but the 20 model presumably with slightly better specification and definitely greater price tag.

Sadly there seem to be no details of the other Croix de Fer 2015 models on the Genesis website. Hence the link to an online retailer's description was the best I could find.

Vickster if it helps inform your opinion at all then the 10 model will be supplied in a rather bright red colour.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I think that may be all @vickster needs to know :-)

While I agree the black of the 2014 isn't the most stand out colour, I'm not sure the red one is as pretty overall as the 2014 and from the spec it looks like the 2015 you're looking it as worse off on components versus the 2014 (unless the 2014 Tiagra has already been 'rebadged' Sora). As it was when I was looking in that price range I ended up not going Genesis because there were other bikes with much nicer spec for the same sort of cash...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thank you for the assist Ianrauk, but the bike in the link you've supplied isn't the Croix de Fer 2015 10, but the 20 model presumably with slightly better specification and definitely greater price tag.

Ah yes.
At the bottom it does say the 10 details to follow.

Osprey

Guru
Well, what did you choose? I don,t think you will be disappointed by either but the Reynolds 725 frame is a gem. I have the 2012 Croix and love it. Put 28c slicks on and it will fly.

OP
OP
H

Haufwit

Regular
In the end I went for the CdF 10. I know the 2014 Croix de Fer would've had a different frame, but I guess all of this season's upgrades & tweaks plus a year of free servicing clinched it. In the end it was small LBS back-up and service over large chain discount.

Top Bottom