Genesis day one

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
Pictures from today’s commute.
7F86FD29-DA3E-4076-9606-D74C27B1D4D8.jpeg

JPBoothy

Veteran
Having had my Genesis day one for a while now I had come to the conclusion it was too small. Even though this was the case I loved the ride. I’ve been keeping my eye out for a medium and one came up a month ago at a very good price. A trip to Bristol and I came back with yet another bike. While waiting to collect the bike a dynamo fixed 650b wheelset was put up for sale on another forum. £160 later I had a new wheelset and bike. One thing led to another and I ended up building it as below. The dynamo lighting is good for my commute.

The blue is my old, yellow is the new.
View attachment 509529
View attachment 509530
Sorry for the late comment.. I have had a Genesis Flyer SS (I don't fancy riding Fixed) for a while now and, like you have often thought of it as being too small. Compared to my other bikes it looks much smaller and almost like a kids bike. Having said that, with it being Steel 'and small' it feels really stiff and always feels so fast. Great finish on the Genesis Steel frames though!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Pictures from today’s commute.
View attachment 510703
That looks mint - are you running 47mm tyres? Looks great and I bet the ride's really plush.. how are the tyre clearances at the back? I'd like to go fatter on the CdF and could probably get close to getting away with 47s if it wasn't for the guards.

If I had money to burn I definitely think I'd have a Day One with a decent IGH and fat tyres :becool:

OP
OP
fossala

fossala

Guru
That looks mint - are you running 47mm tyres? Looks great and I bet the ride's really plush.. how are the tyre clearances at the back? I'd like to go fatter on the CdF and could probably get close to getting away with 47s if it wasn't for the guards.

If I had money to burn I definitely think I'd have a Day One with a decent IGH and fat tyres :becool:
They’re 47mm but come up at 50mm on my rims. It’s close but I haven’t had an issue with anything getting caught. They ride lovely.

dodgy

Still not using my immaculate Day One Alfine and we’re moving to a smaller house, so it looks like I should sell it. It has 863 miles on it exactly. I’ll put a picture up if any interest.

Trouty00

have I bent my frame?
I know this is using an old thread but seems the audience might be just what I need. I recently removed the read wheel to service the bearings as after about 5 years commuting the wheel was hardly spinning. I completed that job pretty simply but didn't take a photo before I took apart and now can't figure out the order or all the washers or if the little washers go on the inside of the frame or the outside between the nut and the frame. I figured on the outside but now the wheel won't go back in without the disc rubbing heavily on the disc caliper mount.

I've tried to get some pictures to show it but I'm pretty sure it's bent given there is about 0.5mm difference in measure ment when I measure the distance between the drop outs at the to Vs bottom and looks to be that the left side is bent in a little.

Be great if anyone could compare there's to mine and advise where the spacer washers are positioned.

The bike is a single speed day one disc, I think 2016 and is chromoly rather than steel.

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/genesis-day-one-10-singlespeed-bike-2016

Attachments

• PXL_20210705_201256216.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210705_201256216.MP.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210705_201211832.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210705_201211832.MP.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20210705_201157167.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210705_201157167.MP.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20210705_201101821.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210705_201101821.MP.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 14

battered

Guru
It won't be a bent frame. The manufacturing tolerance for frames isn't as good as 0.5mm. You will have reassembled the bearings with the axle in a slightly different position, or put the spacers back so there is a mismatch. The fix is to reset the caliper on the hanger. To do this you loosen the caliper mount bolts that hold it to the frame, hanger, etc, making sure that he caliper is free to move but won't fall off, then squeeze the brakes hard so the brakes are locked up. This will centre the caliper on the disc, while it is locked up you nip up the caliper mounting bolts. When you release the brakes the pads will come back to the normal position and the gaps will be even.

CXRAndy

Guru
have I bent my frame?
I know this is using an old thread but seems the audience might be just what I need. I recently removed the read wheel to service the bearings as after about 5 years commuting the wheel was hardly spinning. I completed that job pretty simply but didn't take a photo before I took apart and now can't figure out the order or all the washers or if the little washers go on the inside of the frame or the outside between the nut and the frame. I figured on the outside but now the wheel won't go back in without the disc rubbing heavily on the disc caliper mount.

I've tried to get some pictures to show it but I'm pretty sure it's bent given there is about 0.5mm difference in measure ment when I measure the distance between the drop outs at the to Vs bottom and looks to be that the left side is bent in a little.

Be great if anyone could compare there's to mine and advise where the spacer washers are positioned.

The bike is a single speed day one disc, I think 2016 and is chromoly rather than steel.

https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/genesis-day-one-10-singlespeed-bike-2016

Here is my Day One-converted to Alfine 11 Di2, the washers are the same though
20210709_121331.jpg
20210709_121409.jpg
20210709_121420.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
The threaded eyelets that align the rear wheel fit on the inside of the frame. They are slightly bent by design. They are fitted with them angled outwards. See a side shot to help
Screenshot_20210709-122736_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom