Genesis Flyer Rant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plomax

Hi

I purchased a Geneses Flyer last week . There web site states:

"And, because we're nice you'll find options for fixed/freewheel setup straight out of the box."

However the fitted rear fixed cog is to thick for the supplied chain (1/8 v's 3/32). When I raised this complaint, I anticipated being told that you would simply swap the sprocket or chain and I would have remained a happy customer. Instead the Genesis agent for Scotland/Northern England has told my local supplier that fixed wheel bikes are illegal to sell and that they don't sell it as a fixed wheel bike but just a bike with a flip flop hub.

So if like me you want a fixed wheel commuter bike.....don't buy the Flyer and expect to be able to use it as a Fixie - seemingly the FlipFlop hub and fixed sprocket are just there to add weight.

To make matters worse, the supplied mud guards lasted one week of commuting in Edinburgh and now being replaced!!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Your local Genesis agent is a tool. There is no law, civil or criminal, which prevents a bicycle being sold with a fixed transmission. That's a made up excuse to save themselves the 68 pence cost of sending you the correct sprocket.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Did you hear the agent say that to your supplier or is that what the supplier told you? I think if you told the supplier that you want to return the bike because it is not fit for purpose, suddenly a new chain would be provided. It will cost him just a couple of quid. To be honest I would be calling him out on the bs he is giving you in public in the shop.

OP
OP
P

Plomax

Your local Genesis agent is a tool. There is no law, civil or criminal, which prevents a bicycle being sold with a fixed transmission. That's a made up excuse to save themselves the 68 pence cost of sending you the correct sprocket.
Agreed - my local supplier, Ronde bikes, were equally shocked/disappointed in Genesis's reply. Have finally got a response from Genesis and hopefully being resolved.

OP
OP
P

Plomax

Did you hear the agent say that to your supplier or is that what the supplier told you? I think if you told the supplier that you want to return the bike because it is not fit for purpose, suddenly a new chain would be provided. It will cost him just a couple of quid. To be honest I would be calling him out on the bs he is giving you in public in the shop.
Would normally agree, you are correct that I didn't hear the Genesis reply in person - however I'm a personal friend of the people at the shop so do believe them plus have literally just received an email from Genesis apologising and acknowledging that they should have just replaced the chain or sprocket. Will see how long it takes them to sort out - otherwise the dealer was going to sort it out themselves.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have just e mailed Genesis re this and this is the reply i got

" Hi Martin,"

" Yes, the flyer can used as both fixed and single speed as it comes with a flip flop hub."
"However, we have noticed that in some cases the fixed gear sprocket supplied on the 2018 Flyer may be too thick for the chain. The single speed side is fine.
If you purchase a 2018 Flyer the Genesis dealer will be able replace the fixed gear sprocket with a 3/32" 17T one for you."

Thanks
enquiries@genesis

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Get them to replace the sprocket, not the chain. The chain is a good one and then you can keep everything 1/32.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had my flier since 2015, I did the fixed conversion myself, it came as a single speed I brought the 1/8th chain and fixed cog and fitted it.

20171120_120138.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Yebbutt they know Martin will keep the value of used Genesis bikes buoyant when they come up for sale second hand. Gotta keep him sweet ;)

i have queried quite a few bits with them over the years and they have always been spot on and a lot better than other brands

Top Bottom