Genesis road bike sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Buying a new bike online, looking at a Genesis, but being very careful to get the right size. A 54 is recommended for my height in general for road bikes, which is normally listed as a medium frame. Genesis however list a 54 as a small and a 56 as a medium? Does mean that their 54 is smaller than your average 54? The ideal is to try in shop but not an option in this case as buying a last year model from an online bike shop whose physical shop is about 300 miles from me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which bike?

Just look at the geometry on the Genesis site, there's no such thing as a typical 54, depends which bits they measure and the relationship to the other measurements

My Genesis is a 54 and has a 54cm TT give or take and would now be called Small

Can you sit on this year's model

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Which bike?

Just look at the geometry on the Genesis site, there's no such thing as a typical 54, depends which bits they measure and the relationship to the other measurements

My Genesis is a 54 and has a 54cm TT give or take

Can you sit on this year's model
I would say but there's only a few left and I don't want someone else buying them :tongue: That's a good idea, I'll see if my local evans have one in. Below is the geometry information for that range of bikes and I'm looking at the 54.

54 cm
Top Tube (Horizontal) mm

Seat Tube Length (Centre-Top) mm
Chainstay mm

Head Tube mm
Reach mm

Stack mm
Seat Angle deg
Head Angle deg

Thanks for your answer, helpful as always.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's an equilibrium disc from Winstanleys maybe, available in S? ;) Or maybe not as the numbers don't match the Genesis site

If Evans don't have it, you can get them to bring one in for a refundable £60 deposit

The bike you have described has a 54cm TT, what's the question? How tall are you?

Last edited:
It's an equilibrium disc from Winstanleys maybe, available in S? ;) Or maybe not as the numbers don't match the Genesis site

I reckon it's a Delta. ;)

Genesis used to label their bikes as "54" etc., but they changed (last year I think): like vickster, mine (a Flyer) is a 54, but the geometry's pretty much the same as the current Small. Some manufacturers would call that a medium, but at the end of the day I'd ignore the somewhat arbitrary size label and trust the geometry table.

vickster

Legendary Member

Genesis used to label their bikes as "54" etc., but they changed (last year I think): like vickster, mine (a Flyer) is a 54, but the geometry's pretty much the same as the current Small. Some manufacturers would call that a medium, but at the end of the day I'd ignore the somewhat arbitrary size label and trust the geometry table.
Or a Datum? ;) Although not really a road bike...Zero maybe

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

Yep a Delta. Thanks!

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

If Evans don't have it, you can get them to bring one in for a refundable £60 deposit

The bike you have described has a 54cm TT, what's the question? How tall are you?
5'9

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
What I could do is check the 54's geometry against those of other brands' 54s.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Indeed but it sounds the right size. I'm just under 5'10, long legged and have the 54 equilibrium

You won't want bigger. What's your current bike, if road?

How much is it as the Eq 20 disc here really is a bargain

https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/80648/Genesis_Equilibrium_Disc_20_2016_Bike
The one I'm looking at is £400 reduced from £600, the Eq disc is out of my budget unfortunately. I went to Evans sat on a few 54s and they felt fine, if anything the Genesis I'm looking at will be comfortable as the ones I sat had more of a racing geometry. Thanks again.

vickster

Legendary Member
No £400 sorry. Current bike was advertised as a 52 but definitely not. Measured it and more like a 56. So suggesting a 54 would be ideal as my current one is too big.
Evidently the 52 on your current bike wasn't the TT measurement? I always look at the TT for comparable sizing

Top Bottom