Genetic Doping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i don't know if anyone saw the BBC article on genetic doping using gene therapy, but there is also a radio programme on the i-player (from the World Service) that goes into it in a bit more detail.
Well worth a listen.

Keith Oates

Janner
It seems that this is at a very early stage of research and it could be a long time (if ever) that it can be used on humans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The expert said intra-muscular injection of the epo producing gene - available for purchase online - would give a temporary short term gain not detectable within 3 days
WADA have developed tests and will introduce them as soon as they can be sufficiently verified to prevent legal challenge
It seems much closer than you suggest, if it isn't happening already

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
i don't know if anyone saw the BBC article on genetic doping using gene therapy, but there is also a radio programme on the i-player (from the World Service) that goes into it in a bit more detail.
Well worth a listen.
That just reminded me that I heard part of the broadcast in the wee hours earlier this week - or was it the weekend? At the time I thought that is was well worth listening to when I was awake enough to follow it - far too involved when you're 3/4 asleep - and I'd since forgotten about it.

U

User169

I'd be surprised if it were hugely widespread. Gene therapy vectors are not especially easy to make in the first place, not trivial to administer and extremely difficult to get to work. Likely also to be colossally expensive.

U

User169

The expert said intra-muscular injection of the epo producing gene - available for purchase online - would give a temporary short term gain not detectable within 3 days

Can't immediately see why you'd go to the hassle of injecting EPO-encoding nucleic acids when you can easily enough buy EPO itself.

Top Bottom