Geneva to Innsbruck - suggestions ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewClark

Veteran
I've got the first 2 weeks in September off and need to go touring, I've not been away this year!

On trip I'm considering is Easyjet to Geneva and then ride to Innsbruck and fly back from there, camping along the way. No route planning done yet but I guess I could pop across to Italy as well.

I've done Geneva to Nice twice, and if my form is the same I'd expect to be doing approx 60Km and one big pass a day.

Never been to Switzerland proper or Austria so all advice regarding routes,maps/books campsites & good places to go would be very welcome.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Handily for you, I've just done that very stretch as part of a bigger tour. It was stunning, you'd love it. If you click on the link below check out the journal 'the sound of cycling' and it's the blog of the trip. But basically:

Geneva - Vevey - flat
Vevey - Chateau d'Oex
Chat - Interlaken
Interlaken - Luzern
Luzern - Rapperswil
Rapperswil - Feldkirch
Feldkirch - Dalaas (tiny village half way up the Arlberg)
Dalaas - Landeck
Landeck to Feldkirch

No days were more than 55 odd miles and only one pass per day.

Absolutely stunning time, you'll have a wonderful time. Feel free to pm me for any more info.

Cat

OP
OP
AndrewClark

AndrewClark

Veteran
Thanks Cat, that was a nice write up. I should ask you along as a guide :angry:

The Cicerone guide arrived today so I'll have a read of that and see what I come up with.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Also check out the Esterbauer cycleline guides, admitted you do need some German to get the best out of them, but with a bit of persistence you can get a lot from the web site including some used maps and profiles. For instance see the Inn Radweg 1 which goes along the Inn from St. Moritz to Innsbruck.

OP
OP
AndrewClark

AndrewClark

Veteran
Meh , despite it showing on their route map Easyjet don't seem to be doing flights to/from Liverpool / Innsbruck in September.

Just booked flights to & from Geneva so it will be a circular route.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
An original variant would be Geneva to Basel and up the Rhine to L Konstanz (Bodensee) and then take the Bodensee - Königsee bike route through S Germany and then pick up the Via Claudia Augusta at Füssen which will take you down to Innsbruck.

Top Bottom