Genius for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Due to lack of space and too little use I’m sadly selling my Daewoo Genius Performance 700 bike.

These are extremely rare and a potential future classic - you will struggle to find another for sale at the moment which is a sure sign that owners are hanging on to them.

The bike is approximately 10 years or so old and shows quite a few signs of its age as its largely been used as a winter run around. However it has all the build quality that you would expect from a company like Daewoo.

Bike is steel framed with 3 x 7 Shimano Altus gears which all work plus matching chain. Taiwanese quality wheels front and back. Original tyres had to be replaced so bike is currently shod with a pair of Schwalbe Land Cruiser tyres which have done less than 100 miles. Brakes also work although could do with new pads to reduce the distinctive screech that serves as a warning to pedestrians that you are approaching.

Original seat was replaced whilst I built up the strength to ride it for more than half a mile, and has sadly been lost. Bike currently sports a saddle off a Ridgeback hybrid, which although unoriginal does add to the comfort slightly.

Seatpost measures 54cm but the bike does seem to have a short wheelbase when compared to my hybrid or mountain bike which can only lead to razor sharp handling.

This bike is obviously a bit of a rarity so difficult to put a price on, but given the specification and newish tyres I was thinking that £20 would be a reasonable asking price.

Bike is available for collection only in Croydon / Addiscombe area.

DSC_0025.jpg
Photo does flatter it slightly.

Drago

Legendary Member
Bikes nearer 20 years old with that gruppo c.1997 ;) It's nothing exciting, but in its own way a lovely little time capsule. Someone is going to snap up a bargain there. A bit small for me, otherwise I'd have your fingers off.

Good luck.

Drago

Legendary Member
@Red17, might be worth putting an ad over on Retrobikes. While it's not going to set anyone's Y fronts ablaze with desire it's getting on a bit, looks largely original, seems to be in good Nick, and has an unusual frame design. I'd pitch it on there at 40 sheets, see what happens.

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Bikes nearer 20 years old with that gruppo c.1997

Good luck.

Interesting on the components - earliest I could possibly have bought (new) it was 2002 when I started working in Croydon, although bike or parts could have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a while.

Drago

Legendary Member
That exact rear mech marks it as a 96-97 Altus groupset with the basic, but surprisingly pleasant to use triggers. I'd say that's been sat in someone's warehouse for a good long time, especially as Daewoos brief heyday as a car brand in the UK was also around d 96-97.

JMAG

Über Member
I believe Daewoo cars were basically old/previous generation Vauxhalls so it might make sense if these bikes were old/previous generation Raleigh bikes or whatever, hence the older components.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
It rides OK - used it mainly for a short commute and tried it down a couple of bridleways.

Its a bit heavy, but actually not bad - just that its not getting used as I have 4 other bikes

Top Bottom