Genius

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I prefer Ben Elton. John Oliver is a pale imitation.

The Bugle is one of the funniest podcasts around. His TV show is rather laboured though but its for a US audience so maybe doesn't quite work over here.

pplpilot

Guru
Comedians come and go and all have very different styles and everyone has opinions about them. But if there's one that I miss being on TV and used to love the way he exposed people (mainly politicians) and corporations was Mark Thomas when he had the CH4 series 'The Mark Thomas Comedy Product' . Excellent it was.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
You have to remember that Vern's very, very old... he can remember Ben Elton when he pushed his jacket sleeves up.
I think Ben Elton was cutting edge in a way that John Oliver isnt. Also, John Oliver isnt a household name here in the UK.
Not to say that John Oliver isnt any good, it's just that lots of people are doing that brand of humour / satire now. from Russel Brand to Charlie Brooker and many many more.
When Ben Elton arrived on the scene it was ground breaking.

AndyRM

XOXO
I think Ben Elton was cutting edge in a way that John Oliver isnt. Also, John Oliver isnt a household name here in the UK.
Not to say that John Oliver isnt any good, it's just that lots of people are doing that brand of humour / satire now. from Russel Brand to Charlie Brooker and many many more.
When Ben Elton arrived on the scene it was ground breaking.

All very true, and it's probably fair to say that Elton created the edge, which Oliver and his ilk skate along these days.

I think it's a bit of a shame that Elton ended up turning his back on political satire, as he was very good at it, and very funny.. George Carlin managed to get through life without writing musicals, so I wonder what changed Elton.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mr Oliver would kick Ben Elton's sorry ass into next month. There's no competition.

Your right there's no competition. Mr Oliver is treading in Mr Elton's footsteps. @Like Beebo said he's offering nothing new.

Ben Elton didn't need to signal every punch line and semaphore every nuance to labour a point like Mr Oliver does. I stopped watching the video after five minutes.

TVC

Your right there's no competition. Mr Oliver is treading in Mr Elton's footsteps. @Like Beebo said he's offering nothing new.

Ben Elton didn't need to signal every punch line and semaphore every nuance to labour a point like Mr Oliver does. I stopped watching the video after five minutes.
Oliver is actually treading in John Stewart's footsteps, he got his US break on his show and he follows the clunky, signposted style expected for that class of US show. Still funny in parts.

Top Bottom